Thursday, August 6, 2015

Circus' and Monkeys

Isn't it strange when you've been doing what you're doing in your life - being a good neighbour, a good friend, a good relative, a good Aunty or whatever you are to the people around you - and suddenly, you become something completely opposite to one of those people and you have no idea how it happened?

It's happened to me a few times, and I wonder how it's come to be that way.

At first, I worried myself to the bone about it until I found out that the people thought I knew what I had 'done wrong' and they ended up screaming at me as though I was dumb.
But really, how are people supposed to know what others are thinking if those others don't tell you what you've done wrong in the first place - especially if you have no clue why they're angry at you?

Okay, now it's a few years later, and I have this same problem again: a neighbour is angry at me for some unknown reason. He and his girlfriend split up and the last time I had seen him was when I dropped him off at a house in Acacia Ridge. It's been two weeks since he came back - and I didn't know he had returned until a few weeks ago - and as far I knew they had split for good.

He's on good terms with everyone but me.

I asked him if we were still friends, he said no and told me he wasn't talking to me... no explanation, just that he was mad at me. 

Okay... exactly how did I become the latest mind-reader of the world? I haven't. And I'm not going to go running after him to ask the stupid question he should have answered when I talked to him yesterday.

In one: he's making his circus and his monkeys mine; when they are his and his alone. I have my own life and my own problems... why he's trying to make me feel guilty is beyond me; and like I said, I'm not about to take on his guilt trip just because he's mad.

So, having somebody trying to make you take on their circus and monkeys is the wrong thing for them to do - especially when you have no idea what you did wrong, and they won't tell you what you did to insult them. 

What I'm going to say and do in this instance is: I'm too old for this shit, have been living here for too long to put up with this kind of shit and will not listen to people who try out this kind of shit on me... it's just not in me to worry so much about other people's circus' and monkeys - especially when they try to lob them off onto me.

I have my own circus and monkeys to keep in line - I don't need anyone else's.

No comments:

Post a Comment