Thursday, March 24, 2016

1984

It's occurred to me lately that we're all just become addicted to so many things. There's Facebook - which is a crappy thing to sit and look at because so many people are out there trying to scare the shit out of us, telling us that a photo is cursed unless we share it. Then, there's 'adverts' which aren't adverts where a freaky face jumps up in our face (and no that's not funny if you're not into that crap). Then, there's the scammers, the phishing, the people out there who are so fucking bored with life that they go and steal another person's identity and fuck with their friends. 

Yeah, Facebook - a great idea. Facebook started out with a person's idea to keep in contact with his friends across his university campus.... that's it! 

Then, there's blogs... yep, like the one you're reading. Do you have any idea how many blogs and vlogs (video blogs) there are in the world now? There's so many to pick from you'd be here all year just looking around at only Blogger to find one which you'd like. I manage 9 of them... yes, you read right. But I don't go into all of them on a regular basis. One of them hasn't been touched in a few months; mainly because it's my Little Miss Stevie's one and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I don't wish to shut it down, but I don't wish to change it either - it's just so darned cute. And it still gets hits.

However, over the years, I've noticed something about our lives. We have become either very addicted to what we're being told on the news - which isn't very much - or reality shows - which are crap intensified for our viewing pleasure. Since when did we become such gullible, stupid animals who just stare at televisions screens for days on end wondering who's going to eat an egg that's gone rotten over 3 - 6 months just to get food let into 'the camp' when nobody in their right mind would touch it?
Why would anyone watch a show on cooking when most of the contestants are fussy, whiny little arseholes to begin with - and I would never invite them to my dinner table to start with? Why in hell are we being suckered into turning on our television sets when there's better things to do like, oh I don't know, turn around and talk to your family.

Is it so wrong to remember that you have other people in your home who you're related to? Don't you remember that you could ask each other about your day? Or put on some music and just listen to it (and not the new shit either; I mean some music you haven't listened to for a long time on cd's... yeah put away your phone and actually use that thing in the corner called a stereo system). 

Now, before you start in on me for using a blog to get my crap out here. I'll tell you something: I don't watch the news. I don't watch any reality television. I don't read the newspapers... it's all just shit that is turned around on us where we are being told what they want us to know; not what we need to know. So, if I'm not being told what I need to know, I don't want to read the crap they're force feeding us.

Instead, I'm writing and reading books, gardening, painting, learning new crafts, cooking old-fashioned recipes and getting myself out of the house and not watching television during the day. I enjoy doing what I do and take part in volunteer work on a regular basis. My life isn't perfect, but then nobody's is. But you'd never find me getting into watching anything on mainstream television. At night, by 7pm, I've turned on my dvd player and I'm watching either a dvd from my collection or a television series I've got from my collection - either way, I don't watch the crap which is lined up on the umpteen amount of channels they seem to think is what we want.

So, really... you gotta ask yourself: are you really happy with how this life has turned out? Way back in the 1980's, life was more pure. We didn't have so many television channels, we went out more, had more conversations with our neighbours and friends. We ate at the dinner table more and less in front of the television. We read more books, had a Family Dinner on Sunday nights, enjoyed BBQ's with friends and neighbours and weren't worried about who was going to know about our ideas of fun. We weren't worried about how violent society has become... because society wasn't violent.  And the bigger question we have to ask ourselves is: what in all that is good has happened to our lives for us to be so scared of who we were, who we want to be and where our way of life is going?

No comments:

Post a Comment