Friday, May 22, 2009

The Flight of the Bumblebee

Imagine Sir James Galway playing 'The Flight of the Bumblebee' on his golden flute and well, that's how this month has been feeling; busy as that very fast, very eratic song. As much as I love that piece, I also feel very exhausted by the time it finishes as well. I remember the first time I placed the needle upon the vinyl and heard it scare the daylights out of me with the first notes. Then, when I was thirteen for only two weeks in 1986, I heard the piece live in Brisbane City watching in awe with James Galway up on stage with that golden flute shining in the spotlight.... I held my breath the whole time and didn't even realise it. It wasn't until I met the man that I realised how wonderfully nice and attentive he was to his fans. And he hasn't come back to Australia since; but I'm watching his tour schedule online waiting so that I can meet him again and show him the photo of when we last met.

But I digress.

This month has been busy. Just in the last two weeks, I've seen my artwork on the television on the '9am with David and Kim' show last Wednesday. It occurred so fast, I didn't have time to let you guys knows. Jim Chambliss and another lady from Epilepsy Victoria had their ten-minutes on that show to let everyone know Epilepsy Week this week and show one piece of my art along with a few others. It was brilliant; but the interview was at the end of the show.
In one of my other blogs - 'My Reading List' - I've had success with the book reviews. A couple of authors have been impressed with how I've written up their books and left a comment on the books I've reviewed. One was for 'Blood Calls' and the other 'Exclusive'. I'm absoluted chuffed about it!

Then, this week, I got to see 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' on the big screen with Mum at Garden City... so cool! I love Hugh Jackman looking like that comic book character! Mum loved it too. What a movie. By the end of the credits, I wanted to see the whole thing again straight away! Mum wanted to see the X-Men trilogy; which I fortunately have on dvd. So, that was great. But I feel there's another movie between the Wolverine one and the first X-Men one... there were too many questions left unanswered and many more that were posed.
We went for lunch at 'The Book Cafe' and I found two copies of 'Duma Key' by Stephen King and bought the cheaper copy. I can't wait to get into it once I finish 'Thief of Words' by Jack Jaffe. On the way through doing our errands, we ran into some friends and had a chat and then took off into the wet, cool day again.

After that day, it poured rain through Wednesday and Thursday... they were pretty bad. There was flooding and a lot of damage done around Brisbane. I even called Hannah, friend of mine, in the UK to let her know that if they heard anything about wild weather and floods on the East Coast of Queensland that my family and I were okay and not flooded. Our phone call was a great catch up and we talked and laughed about everything and she googled a lot of the places I talked about and she was amazed that Brisbane had changed so much. Hannah is a singer and is recording a new record for export; and so she's hoping to come out to tour. I hope to see her when she comes over here.

On Wednesday, I did my volunteer work, and one of my friends said they'd come in. However, I tried to get them to stay home. However, they showed up anyway and were stuck there for an hour or so until the weather settled enough for them to take off to the train station. It wasn't a busy day at all that day... even the phone was quiet. The lights flickered a few times while the other volunteer I was with and I chatted, read and knitted, otherwise I decided to take off early at 4:30pm because the weather was just really that bad that nobody was going to come in and I didn't want to be stuck there another minute.

Yesterday, I was offered an interview for Epilepsy Queensland. I'm hoping that it works out. Wish me luck with it and I'll keep you posted. Otherwise, this is what has been happening in that last two weeks.... lots, eh?


No comments:

Post a Comment