Monday, July 20, 2009

Homemade vs Sara Lee


This weekend just gone, I went to a family reunion and it was lovely. It was held at my cousin's house; which is huge! The food was gorgeous, everyone was laughing, the house was set on a large block of land out at Pullenvale; very picturesque. We all had a wonderful time catching up; as it had been around a decade since the last time we had been in the same place at the same time. We were a less a few people, but we also had a few young kids to make up the numbers.
Lunch was fantastic. It was just like Christmas where there's too much food and we couldn't taste test it all; but we wanted to. I made a Turkish Carrot dip that could be used as an appetiser and also a condiment (how ingenious!) and I wasn't the only vegetarian there; so there was enough food for all types of appetites. We had coffee, tea and soft drinks and then dessert came out. And this is where I found the food part kind of fell down a little. My Mum made an Impossible Pie and there were a few other home made delights. So, I grabbed some of the pie and home made goodies and sat down at the table; whereas most of the rest of them stood up and ate. Then, out came the Sara Lee frozen pies. They had been defrosted and were looking a little like plastic goo... and they tasted like plastic as well! I remember when these pies would taste as good as they looked on the box. If it said 'chocolate torte' it tasted rich and creamy... not like plastic. And this thing tasted like plastic in comparison to the Impossible Pie I had just eaten.

When the subject was brought up on the way home, Dad said that the Sara Lee stuff tasted like plastic because I was used to home made food and I never ate out. I guess it pays to learn to cook good food and eat it; knowing what herbs go well in the food you're cooking counts as well. However, if you're used to eating out at the Hungry Jacks and McDonalds, you will most probably not taste a difference. But I do seeing I can't afford to eat out too often. Fast food is destroying our tastebuds and it's not good for us in the first place; so why eat it in the first place? Because it's convenient. Because it's easy. Because it's no-fuss, no-muss. Yeah? Well, it wasn't that long ago that we didn't have any overweight people in society.
When you saw sporting events and the camera panned over the spectators, the majority of them didn't have the weight problems that are around now.
What I'm saying is to have a good look at what you're eating. Is what you've put onto your plate for breakfast, lunch or dinner (or even a snack), a homemade meal or something you just tossed into the microwave because you can't be bothered getting out the pots and pans?
Now, I'm no saint when it comes to food; I'll eat some bad food. My vise is vegetarian nachoes; and they're very delicious and bad for me. However, I don't have them all the time. They are my once-in-a-while food; my comfort food. Food is supposed to nourish us and feed our bodies, not be the cancer that destroys us and shortens our lives.
So, think the next time you're out.

When you're in the city next, will you opt for Hungry Jacks or Sushi? My personal choice is Sushi.

No comments:

Post a Comment