Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Is Mia Speling oph?


When I was younger and had only begun my reading, I found that my spelling was better than most of the kids in my class. I wasn't the best, however, I wasn't the worst either; but I was pretty good. As I got older, and began collecting books for the sheer pleasure of what was between the pages, I just had to get myself to spell better because I noticed something about the books I was reading: the spelling in them was horrible! Now, don't get me wrong, there are writers who can spell and have a brilliant vocabulary and I commend them for that; however, it's not their fault that the past tenses and present tenses get mixed up in their work. No. It's the proofreader and editor of their books. I find that when I've written a book, I make sure I've spelt the words correctly in the way I have been taught; not the way society is slowly changing. I was taught to spell the UK way and that's how all my books' spelling has been done. So far, I haven't had any complaints from anyone.
My Mum and I had a talk today about people and their spelling. It is true that people of today don't read enough to spell well. Also, texting with their mobile phones has made people bad spellers all due to them shortening words just to save on using space on the screen of their phones. It's totally ridiculous! So, if kids today are spelling like this on their phones, how are their spelling skills (and any other skills for that matter) going to suffer in the future? Will they be able to apply for a job when the time comes? I was taught to spell the same way my parents were; and I spell better than most kids now. So, how are they being taught now?

But this isn't an a new fight. This spelling fight about how words are supposed to be spelt is very old and dare I say, will be continuing for a long time yet. I spell the way I do because firstly, I'm an Australian and the words I write are written the way they are because it's how I was taught; and I don't wish to pick up another way of spelling because of a running trend. Secondly, I'm a writer. I've seen all kinds of mistakes in the written word; and it's not going to stop all because I've said something.

Being able to spell is important. It's something that we all
need to know how to do as it says something about your intellect, your mind and how much you care about yourself. Being a good speller tells people that you are confident and says that you know you are a good person; even if you don't look outwardly good-looking, your mind is in good shape. And keeping your spelling and grammar in good shape is all-important as you get older as it will keep you in touch with more modern things and help you as the world changes around you to adapt to newer things. So, keep your spelling up and learn all ways of spelling - not just one.

No comments:

Post a Comment