Friday, August 28, 2009

The Da Vinci Machine's Exhibition!


Yesterday, I left the house early and bussed it into Brisbane city to see the Leonardo Da Vinci Machines Exhibition. And it's absolutely worth the trip in. This man was definitely a man ahead of his time and his ingenuinty was next to none. It's fortunate I was permitted to take photos of the interactive exhibition and found that each piece was brilliantly thought out and took my breath away that he thought outside the box as an inventor. However, to keep most of his inventions secret was most probably the hardest thing he had to do.
On display was his parachute, hang-glider, helicopter and string-operated wagon; as well as his idea of what an ideal city would look like and his mirrored box where you could see yourself from all angles all at once. It's a fantastic way of seeing how one person's mind worked and how all the things he created have come to be used in one way or another as the centuries came and went. Even his bicycle was put on display; even though it was built from just a drawing and a slight description. And as you can see from the photos, I had a wonderful time walking around the especially-made tent which is next to the Brisbane River.

The Da Vinci Machines Exhibition is on for only another week... so if you're in the Brisbane area,
do go and see it! It's worth every dollar you spend. And the souvenirs are worth getting too as they are reasonably priced. A t-shirt will set you back around $30 and a mousepad $10... now, I easily spent $30 there carefully picking out exactly what I wanted and I'm sure I'll treasure those items for a long time to come.
Also, if you don't rush too much to get inside, you'll
notice a large Mona Lisa painting outside with her face cut out. Do what I did and have the fun of getting your photo taken by either your family or staff... don't I look wonderfully like the Mona Lisa?

For the rest of the day, I wondered around the Southbank and the city looking for music for my piano. Yes, I have a lot of music for it; however not a scrap of beginners music or lessons. So, I ventured to 'Archives' on Charlotte Street and found one book for children and then went to 'Allen's Music' on the Queen Street Mall and found a good piano book for $30. 'Dymochs' was having a massive book sale. But I was good; I bought only one book by Alice Walker for $3.00. and after a meal at the Sushi Station, I jumped on a bus to Garden City, grabbed a coffee and waited for half an hour and grabbed the second bus home. What a big day! And I got all the things I needed to get done.

3rd, September, 2009 - I found out in the last few days that this exhibition has been extended. I'm not sure for how long. You'd have google it to find out. Take the opportunity with both hands and travel into Brisbane City to see this marvelous exhibition soon before it leaves our shores.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day! I love that area of Brisbane - South Bank and the Mall - everything is so convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true. And I don't go in very often either. But it's such a long way to go from Logan that I only go when I have the whole day and lots of money to spent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Is that a da Vinci bicycle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing? As I walked around, I was in tears because of the way Da Vinci could think so much outside the box at the point in time. And he also wrote all his notes in mirror so nobody could copy his work; also he was left-handed. Such an innovative man!

    ReplyDelete