Friday, August 7, 2009

Warm Days of Spring

I love to see the seasons change over; however, I detest what it does to my sinus'. I sneeze and feel as though I'm coming down with a flu when I'm not. Spring has always - and will always - do this do me whenever the seasons change. However, it's when the flowers bloom I cop it the worst; as does every asthmatic I know. It just doesn't seem fair, does it? And it's also the time when I want to get out into the garden again, when it's cool enough still, and everything's still dormant enough to be moved around and re-potted. It's not just the hay fever that bothers me, the days get longer too. I wake up to the alarm and the sun's already peaking over the horizon and lighting up the sky. Fog sometimes hangs in the air as a sign that it's going to warm to be a hot day after a cold morning; and it's those mornings that I wish for a longer Australian Winter instead of what we have. Even though I was born here in Australia, I find that I really don't like the heat of our Summer. It dries me out and dehydrates me to no end. Being fair-skinned, I feel as though I was destined to live in another country yet, I'm living in this one anyway. So, I wallow in the coolness of the brief Winter this Summer Land has to offer and hope it lasts just that little bit longer each year (and I know it won't; it's just wishful thinking). Brisbane in Winter may sound like a silly dream, but we do get a few lower temperatures from time to time; and I love them. It's when Summer comes along that I tend to hide from the sun and try to read more in the shade and in the breezeways of my garage. Summer does have its attractions. Here in Summer, we have our Christmas. On the way to it, there's Halloween (for all you pagans out there) and I also celebrate my birthday - along with a lot of my family's birthdays and anniversaries. So, it's pretty cool. I do enjoy the days getting warmer little by little. It's just Summer I'm not really looking forward to when it gets too hot. However, I do get a lot of reading done when the heat stops me from doing anything else. Just me, a good book, a bottle of chilled water out in the shade where a breeze passes through with my cordless phone next to me. That's the life... it's the best way to keep cool on a hot day.

1 comment:

  1. My thoughts exactly Mozette!
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

    Loey

    ReplyDelete