Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Melbourne Cup Day 2009

Well, this day started out shockingly... and I don't mean the horse that won the race! I mean when I came downstairs and pulled the cover off my little bird's cage, I found her all wet! Then, she threw up all over the place. And when a bird is sick, they flick it all around! YUK! I recovered her and called Mum, then the vet. We made an appointment and took Stevie in by 10am. The lovely lady there told me - after a few tests - that Stevie had a bacterial infection; however she wanted to keep my little blue bird overnight to treat her. So, I signed on the bottom line as Stevie sat on my shoulder, then said my goodbyes to her until I could pick her up; scratching her sticky head and letting her know I'd be back the next day. Yeah, I had a cry even because I had never been separated from my little bird for this long for this kind of reason.

Anyway, my day had to move on. On the way home, I picked up my mail of two parcels. One of them was massive and when I opened it there was a big bag of Reece's Peanut Butter Cups in it! There were also books, teabags and postcards and bookmarks too! Oh! It really made my day that one of my friends online had sent this to me; and it arrived on a day when I really did need cheering up. I also received a Ray Bradbury book from another friend in
the UK who was giving the book away.
But, I had volunteer work at the Logan Art Gallery and so I dressed up after making a bet at the TAB and then organising myself to get there early enough. I arrived and settled in. We all had a lovely lunch with plenty of laughs and watched the television with poor reception and then we watched the longest three minutes of our lives as the horses
raced around the Flemmington Racetrack on Race 7. And what do you know? My horse won! It was Shocking... the horse's name that is, like I said. And I ended up with around $55. I always win on Melbourne Cup Day.
We cleaned up from lunch as the shifts changed at the Gallery and the afternoon moved on. I had won the monthly prize that the Logan Art Gallery puts on from August and so I sussed out my prize box and tried to read one of the books I received in the mail yesterday morning; but couldn't really get into it. Before long, it was time to leave and Mum took me home after collecting my winnings at the TAB at the Logan Tavern. Today, I can collect my little bird from the vet.

I'm so excited and happy to be able to bring her home!

No comments:

Post a Comment