Monday, June 22, 2009

Amazing Stuff

I was just printing out my shopping list (because I have the worst handwriting in the world some days) when I was thinking how amazing all this technology is these days. We can send off a letter or parcel and it'll take between three days to a week or so to get where it's gotta be; but the beauty of the internet is that you send an e-mail and it reaches its recipient within seconds not days or weeks! I love it! I never thought I would, but I do.
And I've learned so much on this here ol' phone lines too. The world has become a smaller place because of the internet. Just consider what would happen if we didn't have it and we were still communicating the same way we used to in the 1960's - 1980's? We wouldn't have the ipod, iphone, digital camera, sms or anything to the likes of what we have now. It would be a very big world for us to get around in. However, now, it's so much easier to communicate and chat with people on the other side of the globe.

Through various websites and blogging, I've made some really cool friends. In fact, I have more online friends than I do in my own city; and I'm betting you probably do as well. I've found that with my new internet friends, I've found that they are the nicest people. On Bookcrossing.com, we trade and talk about books. We're just crazy about them. On Ravelry.com/ we are nuts about knitting and patterns. Otherwise, I'm on myspace.com and I've got my select collection of friends there who I've gotten over time (and that group is slowly growing).

But when you think about it, the leaps and bounds with technology isn't just fun and games. In the medical world, it's been fantastic. What doctors can do to save a life or to - at the very least - keep somebody alive for longer is absolutely brilliant.
I'm an Epileptic and there's an operation that can help people suffering from this condition (as it's degenerative as you get older) from taking seizures when they become uncontrolled. I was offered this operation and had to go to Melbourne for tests. However, I wasn't a candidate. Instead, I changed doctors and found that even though my seizures are the worst kind, they are controlled with the smallest amount of medication; just a little of three twice a day and I'm good. Yes, the medical world has most certainly benefited from the new technologies that have come with the internet and computerisation of the world.

However, I never used to think this way. Nope. I never wanted a mobile phone or a digital camera or an MP3 player. I wanted life to be easier for me; and to get with it and keep up with the times it gradually did get easier, without me having to let go of the old technologies I love as well. It's the old stuff that keeps us in contact with who we are, our families, our past and everything else in between. It's like my books. They are old-fashioned and I love them; however, never would I ever get a Sony e-reader or a Kindle; it's just not my style.
So, I'm embracing this Hi-Tech world of ours for what it is: a little of the old-fashioned beauty that we were taught about when we went to school; and the future of where our world is going. However, we must be careful how we treat our home. Even though what's occuring to it is perfectly natural and it's just how it's supposed to happen to a planet (I really don't think it's our fault), we are still only a blip on the radar screen of Earth's life. I say: enjoy it while we're here and love the time we're in right now; because it's just amazing stuff that's going on around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment