Sunday, June 21, 2009

History Never Repeat

It's strange how things can change so much; yet seem to stay the same. The other day, I walked down the street towards my parents' house and found that one house was fenced off to be removed and another not far down the road had been taken off its lot and even the trees and garden were gone. I was absolutely surprised and shocked. Had it been that long since I was a kid when they were close to new and I used to walk past on my way to school? My God it has been!
It's sad but true to know that my entire area is going to be changing very quickly over the next five to ten years; and I can't do anything about holding onto my past - my childhood - too easily. We have photos of when the block of land behind us was just forest right to the service road with a creek running through it - and it wasn't a clean one, it was filthy and contaminated. We had a tree house up behind our friends' house two doors up where we could escape one wet days; and now that's not there anymore.

Yes, my past is quickly fading into history and there's not going to be much left of it to hold onto. Sure we have the photographs to look at and the memories that I wrote about in my diaries when I was a teenager and growing into an adult. However, it's going to take more than that to keep my memories from fading away and disappearing from Logan City as it changes - morphes - into something I'm suddenly realising I'm not going to recognise in years to come.

As life is an everchanging entity in itself, as is time, we all feel sad that our past will eventually fade away and just be a part of the history books. However, I've thought of a way to keep it from vanishing from our lives all together. I'm going to keep posting about something from my past that I remember and treasure (even something I don't like) so that anyone reading this online will see what kind of life I lived in the 1980's as and X-Generation kid being born in the 1970's... before the internet became readily available, mobile phones were small enough to lose, video games were 'Space Invaders' and 'Pacman' and car alarms weren't so annoying (nobody stole a car; and if they did, well, you probably left the car unlocked!).

The past is something we should all treasure and look back on with a smile and a giggle sometimes. In the past, we've all made mistakes, conquered our fears, fallen in love and had our hearts broken, beaten up the school bully and come out the other end surviving one thing or another that makes us totally and completely original and unique.

So count this post as a first of many where I'll talk about what my past was like compared to how it is now; how I communicated with my friends and family; how I spent my days and what I did to get from one place to another. Travel back in time with me and enjoy the life of an X-Gen kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment