Thursday, June 18, 2009

Creative Minds


For a very long time, I didn't think I was all that creative; well, besides with my writing and books. Yeah, sure, I could scare you into not turning out your light, bring you to tears, make you laugh out loud or make you think about things. But, really, I didn't think I was creative outside the written world. Not until a good part of my world fell apart on me and I was rediagnosed with Epilepsy. I say 'rediagnosed' because mine had been dormant for a while; during the most dangerous time of my life - puberty. And seeing it wasn't going to rear its ugly head then, the doctors thought I was going to be okay. Wrong. It took me travelling to New Zealand on a tour that was far too fast for me and I not only caused it to come back, but I also burnt myself out.
And that wasn't all. I had just gotten my drivers license and bought a car! Hell! So, there I was with a gorgeous red Celica Liftback in the driveway and my neurologist telling me not to drive it for a month! It was like buying a house, then somebody telling you that you can't live in it for a month as a precaution that something might happen. Being a cocky nineteen year old, I ignored the doctor and drove the car (or lived in my house). He was not impressed about it when I went in to see him a month later and impressed him with not only being able to find a park on Wickham Terrace, but I could also do reverse parallel park too! He knew I had been driving seeing that I didn't hit the gutter or the other two cars.

But this isn't about my Epilepsy. This is how my life has turned out to be as it's become controlled over the last decade. I have found that since we had tests done on my brain and the condition matured; completely affecting all of my brain cells and not just a certain few, I have gotten a hell of a creative streak!
I picked up a paintbrush and tried out acrylic paints while I visited my boyfriend's parents out at Roma. While out there, I did three paintings and when I came home, I didn't stop. We found that doing art actually pulled me back off some medications; making it so that I wasn't taking so much of it and that my seizures were lessening. This was brilliant!

However, I had to look at my stress.

About six years ago, I moved out of my folks' home and lived on my own. It was an absolutely gutsy move. Dad wasn't too keen on it, but my doctors said was something that may help my stress and condition; and it has. My art works have moved forward; and in more ways than one! I tried out mixed media and found it wasn't really me. But then, I picked up my late-Grandmother's knitting needles and got the most brilliant idea! Knitted Trees! I began doing them in May and had problems with the tags in June... but I think I've got it all sorted out! If you want to know more, check out 'A Natural Background' in my complete profile; it's another blog I manage. I may have missed out on this month for knitting trees, however, next month will have a few in it; if it doesn't rain too much.

Over the years, I've had fun with art; so much so, I volunteer at the local art gallery in my area, and have done so for ten years this year. It's fun and brilliant and I love doing the volunteer work just to get my butt out of the house and seeing some talented artists! I do enjoy different types of art and love to learn about it all as well and so I take part in some workshops when they are available to us; and when I can come in (or be squeezed in on the lists if there's space!).

I do believe we all have creative minds - each and every one of us - however if we don't try to use the artistic abilities we have been blessed with, we'll never know how good we are; or can be. So, when somebody tells you that they don't have an artistic talent in their little toe/finger, don't ever believe them; not until you actually see them doing something creative. It's the ones who doubt themselves that usually surprise the socks off everyone else around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment