Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Tribute To Patrick Swayze


I'm finding this hard to write about; and what can you say about a man who could dance, act and had everything working for him right until the end of his life - except his health? It was only 20 months ago when we all learnt about Patrick Swayze's dreadful news of Pancreatic Cancer. And after Luciano Pavarotti passing away from this horrible disease in 2007, it was doubly hard for us to accept another great man was going through this too.

A good deal of us remember Patrick as bad-boy Johnny Castle from 'Dirty Dancing. And we all wanted to be Baby in
that coming-of-age film; when he was teaching her to dance at that holiday resort. This was the very film where he made his mark in the world and was noticed as the sexiest man alive (well, in my opinion). His career shot off from there. He starred in 'City of Joy', 'Point Break', 'Ghost' and 'Road House' as well.

When I found out the news that Patrick Swayze had passed away this morning, I felt really sad; but also a little bit relieved. He had been going through so much pain the last year and had been so weak from the cancer treatments, it was something I hated knowing he was going through (as I have watched a friend battle a different kind of cancer and he lost his battle too; but the treatments were just as debilitating).

Currently, here in Australia, Patrick's last television series - 'The Beast' - is being aired and I'm a big fan of it. And tonight, it's on. I'm sure it's going to be hard for me to watch seeing how soon after his passing I'll be watching it. One thing is for sure: Patrick Swayze will most definitely be missed by us all for his acting, his eyes, voice (he wrote a song for the 'Dirty Dancing' soundtrack) and his dancing ability. May he rest in peace.

16/09/09 - Last night's episode was brilliant; as usual. However, before the show began, there was a dedication. It was brief and touching; and brought tears to my eyes. What a fantastic actor, dancer and Patrick Swayze will be missed from our hearts and screens forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment