Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Cousin's Wedding

Wow! What a busy week! And yesterday was the middle of my week; from today onwards, I'm stayin' home. Yesterday, my cousin Joanna, and her fiance, Malcolm were married at Wynnum on the Lower Esplanade. However, what was supposed to be a lovely warm Spring day turned into an Arctic blast. It was an afternoon ceremony and so, we thought the day was going to be warm; were we wrong! A cold wind blew from the ocean as the tide came in buffeting us at the gazebo.
However, the bride didn't let that
get in the way. She walked across the bridge, along the walkway and up the ramp of the little, crowded wooden structure after she was handed from her father to her fiance. The ceremony was lovely, short and well-organised; and I got some great photos (so did about 30 other people along with the photographer). As Jo and Mal walked around talking to a few people and waiting for the photographer to work on what was going on next, Mum, Dad and I ran into some neighbours who used to live next door to us. They were friends of Mal's and couldn't believe that we knew him as well. It was so good to see them again and they were happy to catch up with us.
The photographer was really great. He got us all into the picture; the Aunts & Uncles, the Grandfather, brothers and parents. Then, there
was me - the token cousin (we have so many in the family, Jo picked out one to attend and it was me; I was honoured and didn't want to say no to the invite) - and so I was photographed too. Soon, we were all off to the warmth of our cars and away to have a cup of coffee until it was time to meet up at the restaurant for the reception.
And dinner was interesting. For appetisers, we had Fairy Bread (something thought up by the groom; and a favourite of his too), the dinner itself was delicious (being vegetarian, I had a pumpkin strudel; which had cashews, herbs and pepper in it! Yummo!). Then, dessert was a wine glass of green or red jelly with a freddo frog sitting up in it (another favourite of the groom's). Everyone thought it was unusual, but I thought it was quirky... but that's just my opinion. And what wedding isn't complete without a Wedding Waltz? Yep, the happy couple cut the cake and did that waltz. Jo being a ballet dancer knew the dance and she had married a guy who could dance (Wow! What a difference it makes when a guy can dance!). We left at around 10ish or so... after more photos. Mum got a good one of Jo and me; as we don't get to see each other - or catch up - on a regular basis. It was a lovely wedding and I'm glad I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment