Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday...

This has been a very big day for me already; and it's not yet half over.  I woke to my noisy neighbours leaving for work; slamming their ways out of their house and zooming through the complex as though it's a race track.  Then, I made breakfast, after feeding a toasty Little Miss Stevie and listening to the radio and wiping up from last night.  
Then, it was off to the post office at around 9am.  I never leave to go anywhere at exactly the same time each day; never have the same routine for anything really.  I find that for one thing it get boring; and for another people can find ways to judge when I'm away from the house or when I'm doing certain things.  So, variety is the spice of life here.  Around 9am could be between 9am and 9:30am... other than that, I could take up to 10am to collect my mail from the post office; depending what I've been up to that morning.  Sometimes, it's the laundry that holds me up; other times, the washing up or putting out the rubbish; usually small things hold me up from collecting the mail.
Anyway, I was on my way there when I passed unit 16 - one of my closest friends' houses.  They're great friends to hang out with and chat with on the weekends just before we all go to have dinner or in the afternoons when there's not much else to do.  Well, Betty (the Grandmother who lives with the family) was sitting outside having a smoke and I said good morning to her when she said: "Just the person I'm looking for!" and gestured to a big bag next to their side door, "We have some books for you." I walked up and looked in to find the big paper bag was full to the brim with books!  I rummaged through some of them and found they were some of the best-selling novels from over the last few years!  Betty said that Lisa's work-mate has moved house and did out their book collection; well, Lisa brought them home for her to read.  But Betty's eyes aren't the best and the print is too small for her, so she thought to hand them off to me.  I was so happy that she thought of me and we chatted about them for a minute and other things for a while.  She's had a cold and was sounding terrible the other day; but is sounding better today; she said she is feeling better, but it's hard to stay warm with all this cold wind around.

Well, I took the bag of books home and took off to the post office again and collected two parcel pick-up cards and found that Nivea had sent me their moisturiser that I had won on their Facebook page.  I've just put some into a dry spot on my arm and it smells like I've been to the beach!  And it feels lovely.  The other parcel was a book 'Owls Do Cry' by Janet Frame which was a part of a Bookcrossing game I'm playing... and it was off my Wish List! It has been on my Wish List since 2009 and I never thought I'd receive it from anyone; or be able to buy it off the shelf anywhere.  The best thing is that when I looked at it closer, it was the 50th Anniversary of the printing of this particular book!  What a wonderful and thoughtful BCer Izzy5000 is to send me something this poignant by such a brilliant author!
Well, this afternoon, I have to start getting in and cleaning up the house a bit.  There's vacuuming to get done, toilets to clean, the bathroom basin to wipe down and washing up to do as well as newspapers to toss out along with the rubbish.  My Dad is coming over for a visit and he's picky about how tidy my house isn't... well, he'll be surprised about how I treat my visitors I am expecting; especially when it's at night and we can't go outside.  
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.  With the weather going as it is, it's sure to be a lovely weekend here; with the sun out and warming up Brisbane nicely, even though our nights are cold right now.  Until my next post, take care, keep warm and safe and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment