Wednesday, August 26, 2015

200 Days

I read on Peter Walsh's Facebook page a post where a person went and stopped spending up on new things for 200 days.

Well, okay, they spend money on the necessities and that was it for the 200 days... and what they saw in their way of life changed on how much they thought about their possessions.

How they came to be doing this 200 day spend less thing wasn't just something they thought to do on the spur of the moment - their father had passed away and they had to go through all his possessions in his house. He had so many things and they didn't really know where to start or what to do with those things.
So, they looked at what they were doing in their lives and thought it would be a good idea to start now in stopping the indulgence of buying new things all the time and spent he next 200 days without buying anything new from the stores.

I've been living with second-hand clothes, vinyls and books for over a decade because I'm on a pension and don't have a credit card. And for a person who is running a hobby business from home, I've been told that a lot of people have a credit card to run these businesses; but really they are a luxury item in my eyes. And seeing I'm one of those people who sees something which 'twinkles' and I have to have it, then regrets it immediately when I get home, well, a credit card in my hands ends up being deadly.

So, I've lived without a credit card for as far back as I can remember; and my life is better off without it. I've also been living pretty well lately as a 'get what I need' person instead of a 'get what I want' person. Now, what that means is: I look around at what I'm using in the house and replace only the things I've been using in the house each time I go shopping. If I get something that is a luxury item, I go without something that is normally used - thus the rhythm of the house is put out for a fortnight or until the usual item is replaced again.

This keeps me from overspending and my household budget is in line for the next week and a half. 

I also can save up for things I want to do or buy that aren't usually things I'm doing or buying - things outside the normal budget of the house and my life. 

Today, was shopping day. So, I went and didn't buy anything wasn't on my shopping list... I stayed true to it, and spent exactly the amount of money I was supposed to. I didn't go over the budget at all. This is good. And I missed out on the charity store - which is good also; as I don't have to check them out all the time. But I did get everything I needed today.

Well, have you tried getting only what you needed for the house? Did it work out? Or did you end up buying other things on impulse and regret it? Until my next post, take care, stay safe and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment