Monday, March 8, 2010

Sunday Afternoon

Yesterday, I had the best time. Actually, it was the afternoon when it all happened and even though the weather looked like it was going to pour at any second, it didn't. At 2pm, my friend Geoff Treagus picked me up from my place and we drove to West End where we picked up Will, another buddy of his. From Will's place, we walked to Musgrave Park to watch Bike Polo. It's a new form of Polo; kind of what they do on horses, but it's on a bike. The best thing about this is that the bikes don't get an attitude and they don't crap everywhere. Also, it's a very original way of playing the game.

From there, after I took a few photos, we walked back to Will's place and drove to Stu's house where he got in the car and Geoff drove us all to Fortitude Valley to the Globe Theatre where 'Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars' was playing; along with 'Labyrinth' - both David Bowie flicks. However, I didn't last long in the first one as it was a film of his 1973 concert and it was chock full of strobe lights and I hate them with a passion (they make me feel really sick and give me headaches; no matter what they do to my epilepsy, I still hate them). So, Geoff and I went to The Powerhouse Museum at New Farm Park while Stu stayed at the Globe to watch the rest of the film and Will went home; he was tired.

The Powerhouse used to be just that: the place that powered Brisbane. But as the city grew, the demands on its power needs did too. So, the place became obsolete; and it closed. In recent years, it has been turned into an entertainment place with a restaurant, art gallery, stage and concert hall areas. There are also markets held there nearly every weekend. It's a very cool place to go on weekends. What Geoff and I saw were photographs of rock'n'roll bands, singers and guitarists all framed and well-presented. There were the likes of Henry Rollins, Angus from AC/DC, Nick Cave and Iggy Pop just to name a few.

On the way to the car from the movie, Geoff and I were walking around a corner in Fortitude Valley when I heard somebody tapping on a car window. I turned and looked to see my brother and his girlfriend waving madly at me just before the lights changed. I waved back just in time for Geoff to ask who the hell that was... hehe... I told him that was Gabe, my bro and his girlfriend and we kept walking talking about his band; and me not realising - forgetting - that they might be playing around the area and we could have gone there instead of the Globe. Oh well, next time.

By the time we got back from the Powerhouse - and I took some pretty cool photos with my digital camera - we were all hungry. So, Stu, Geoff and I headed off to Taringa to a tavern and had some food. I ate the most delicious Barramundi burger I've ever eaten in my life! And I was home by 8:30pm. A pretty cool afternoon was had by all... and it was fun. I'll have to do it again in the next few months Brisbane's brief idea of Winter comes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment