Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Tropical Lows and Floods Out West.

Over the last few days, we have had a lot of rain! It began on Monday night and didn't stop! I remember it because I was just getting to sleep at around 11pm after I turned out my light when it began. When my alarm went off the next morning, it was still going!

And it kept going all day.

However it wasn't just us in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast that got it, all the country towns out west got hit first. And some of these places haven't seen a spot of rain in decades... a few have never seen rain since they began keeping records of rainfall. It's been amazing and dreadful. Our dams have filled to overflowing; which means we've had to open the
floodgates and let some out.
It means that Charleville, Roma, Birsville and St George are just some of the towns that have been declared 'Disaster Areas' by the Queensland Government and there are some people out on a cattle station who live on the Injune Highway (if you're reading this guys, I'm thinking of you all!) who I know are cut off from anyone in the surrounding towns. I have tried to get in contact with these people; and so all I can say is that I'm thinking and praying for them each time the rain falls... and that's every hour or so at the moment.


After all this time that a good part of Australia has been drought-stricken, all this monsoonal rain has brought it all to an end. Some parts of the outback are going to be green for the first time in a very long time; and that's good. I only hope these flood waters subside before the next deluge. But at the same time I also hope this return of the rains continues... just not in one big hit like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment