Sunday, February 28, 2010

Rainy Day Reads

I love reading on a wet ol' day. And today is a bit sultry. It looks like rain, but the clouds appear to be dodging around us. But, I still find time to read in the early afternoon each day.

Yesterday, at the Logan Art Gallery, I began two new reads. The first one was a present I received for my birthday in October last year; and have been dying to read for a good part of my life: 'The World According to Garp' by John Irving. His narrative pulled me in straight
away and kept me reading.
The second book is going to be a much easier book to get through; as I read around forty pages in one sitting! It's titled: 'Love Is A Mixed Tape' by Rob Sheffield. It's about music and what it means to us in certain times of our lives; that most of our lives are made up of a series of mixed tapes. It got me thinking about the mixed tapes I've accumulated in my draw in my living room; and that I really must have a listen to what's on them. But then again, I might already know.

I'm still struggling with 'Under The Dome' by Stephen King. It's coming to a grizzly end - as his stuff always does - but I have found the book hard-going and tedious. Maybe it's me. Maybe not. And 'So Many Books, So Little Time' by Sara Nelson has been an absolute pleasure to get my nose into before bed. I love the way books that have landed in her lap have changed the way she reads, or the way she feels. I don't think I'll be letting this book go for a good while; I may turn it into a bookring, but I'm not letting it out of my sight before that. I'll read it again instead.

But I do enjoy reading pretty much anything - including the newspaper - on a wet day. It's to give my brain a rest from the bombardment of television and computers and the internet for a while. However, I do go back to them all. It's just how things are and how the world works. Reading is my absolute and total love and joy and pleasure to escape from the rat race of the rest of the world; and nothing else tops it. What about you? What are you reads on wet days? If you're not into reading, what do you get into?

No comments:

Post a Comment