Tuesday, February 23, 2010

February's Something Different!

Yes! It's that time of the month again. As you know, I've taken up the Do Something Different Challenge on Bookcrossing and I think it's a good idea to get us out of our comfort zone and into completely different things we wouldn't normally do. And this month, I really got into something I haven't done since I moved into my townhouse!

The first thing was a visit to the vet for Little Miss Stevie; as I had grave concerns that she was losing her sight. However, instead, we found she was a happy little bird and the vet played with her as if Stevie was her own. But, Little Miss Stevie wasn't so little... nope, Stevie was overweight and all because of me. Yep, I was loving her into an early grave. So, I've had to be strict with how much food went into her food bowl; every strict. Otherwise, Stevie's vet has found that Stevie is a very smart and out-going little bird.

I replaced a lot of my plastics early on in the month with Mum's old Tupperware. Now, if you have this product, it's got a great warranty that goes with it; and it's a lifetime warranty on the all the seals. This means that if one splits or breaks, you can call the company and they can replace it. I've used it once when a handle on a measuring cup broke when it fell off the drainer on the sink; and the lady said I could get it replaced. Now, I have some very old Tupperware and I love it!

Now for the thing I mentioned at the top of this post. I decided it was time to clean the house out completely! From top to bottom, I started cleaning. And to keep myself in check, I kept up with it in this blog. The majority of it took 9 days - with a break in between of a few days that were essential - and I got rid of a lot of stuff. There is still the kitchen table to finish and some small things to get finished; otherwise, the house is almost done. I'm proud of myself that I got rid of around 5 bags of clothes, kitchen towels, mugs, plastics (all with their own lids) and other things that can be used by others and I don't need anymore. In this time, I cleaned up the home office, bathroom and toilets, got rid of the 2nd Pantry and the air-conditioner box, sorted out Mt TBR into a more manageable pile, opened and sprayed the sofa-bed of anything creepy-crawly, cleaned out the fridge and even got in and cleaned up the wardrobe in here and put away laundry and got some serious gardening and other usual housework done.

There were days where I took the day off. Like the Saturday I went out to see a dear friend who is suffering from Prostate Cancer. He and his wife have had to sell their home which has waterfront views and move into a retirement village. However, all their furniture won't fit. So, they offered me their 1970's stereo unit; which once I clapped eyes on it, I loved. I could fit all my vinyls in it, all of Stevie's stuff in in and there was a lovely area for Stevie's cage; nice and high too. And she's already gotten stuck behind it once (which I'm sure she'll never do again... as it was funny hearing her screech then, coaxing her out the side; and she had this look on her that she didn't want to be stuck there again!).
I also got my house assessed for how much greenhouse emissions it puts out. And seeing I have an air conditioner and the guy looked at my power and gas bills, he said that I've been saving money hand over fist... and he
also said that not using a dryer has been a great boost for me too. He noticed that the air conditioner isn't always used. He said that I was doing well in the savings arena; and I'd get a paper telling where on the scale I am, reassuring me that I'd be near the top and that was good.

Then, last Friday, I was handed my badge for being a volunteer here in Logan City for 10 years. I had been invited to the morning tea at the Logan Art Gallery and - along with other volunteers - I was given my
badge. One of my dear friends retired from the gallery as he had decided to move onto greener pastures in the field of the arts, but he did promise to visit and keep in contact with us all.

So, there is it. My things I did that were different this month. Not too exciting, but they were certainly different. Until next month's differences, I'll see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment