Wednesday, February 24, 2010

How to Mourn My Favourites

I'm in a dilemma. Over the last few years, I've been lay-bying dvds to have as something to watch - a library of my favourites. However, over the last couple of years, we have had some of Hollywood's best actors pass away on us. Now, I'm not saying they should've stuck around just to please us fans. Patrick Swayze wasn't a well man and I was kind of grateful he passed away as he was in pain. However, I now have a problem... a small one really, but it's a problem nonetheless.
I have some great movies with fantastic actors as main characters in them. However, I can't watch them because they've passed away. Even though Heath Ledger has been gone for two years, I still can't pull out any movie I have with him in it. It's just something I can't get myself to do. Is it just me who has had this feeling of dread each time they see the dvd cover, or does it happen to some of you too? I might be a little too sensitive to the death of another; I'm not sure.
But I have no problems when an author passes away. In fact, when they do, it makes me want to read their stuff more; to find out what made them so popular in the first place - or not so popular if they weren't the current trend. With authors, when they have gone from this world, after I've read their writing, all I think is how sad it is that they are no longer with us to make more books. However, with actors, we get to see them on the big screen and read about them, hear about them on a constant basis.
So, do tell me. When a great actor - young or old - passes from our lives, do you go through a stage where you can't watch their films or read anything about them? If so, how long does this usually last for? If not, why not? I'm just asking out of curiosity so I can get back into watching my favourite films again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment