Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Drive to Bangalow!

I opened the mail online today hoping to hear from a friend I had been organising a meet-up with from Bookcrossing.com and found there was nothing from her. So, I tried the site itself and found a thread she had put up yesterday for me and Mum. As I read that she wanted to meet in Bangalow today, she asked if we could meet her at the post office there at 10:30am... it was around 9ish and pouring rain! So, seeing I was mostly ready, there was just Mum to go.

Soon enough, we were off and took it easy on the wet roads; as visibility was dreadful! Who needed speed cameras when there was rain? We made it there with plenty of time to spare, and we even found a parking spot too close to the post office. Mum and I stood outside the Bangalow Post Office and looked around; then I decided to go inside and find some postcards to send off to my friends. While in there, I spotted a plush, stuffed full-sized crocadile on top of the PO Boxes! It as so cute, I asked if I could photograph it; and the ladies let me. Isn't he cute! I bought my postcards and Mum looked around the place and we still hadn't run into MooMoo1977 from Bookcrossing. So, I thought to go outside to wait again while Mum kept looking around the Post Office. I saw a young lady matching the description that MooMoo gave me and I walked up and asked her her real name and she said yes and she was so pleased to meet me. Mum came outside and after initial introductions, we were looking around for a place to eat.

'Utopia' was the place we found was quite pleasing to the eye; not to mention our tastebuds! We ordered our delicacies and chatted before they arrived. I ordered the Rum'n'Raison Bread'n'Butter Pudding, Loey Pumpkin Scones and MooMoo a Chocolate Brownie... and were they big serves or what! Even though I'm a small eater I devoured my large serving of Bread'n'Butter Pudding... and it tasted just like it did when Grandma used to make it! I swear! Mum had a taste and she was amazed - but not surprised - that I was eating it all. Once the sweets and coffee was all drunk, and we had given each other books, (I gave MooMoo a copy of 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde and she was over the moon about it as it was on her Wish List. She offered up a large number of books that covered a lot of subjects; and Mum and I walked away with about four books each.) we decided to take a walk around and look at some shops; as none of us had been here for a some time.
'Abracadabra' is a big shop full of all kinds of things from toys and masks for kids to fans, coin purses, cloth bags and incense for the alternative
types. There's everything and anything you'd ever want to deck out your home to look gorgeous and most of the time you'd put it all in your back yard. I bought three little coin purses to add to my collection; aren't they just the most beautiful things? We asked around for an Op Shop and were told where it was. However, once we walked there, we found out that it wouldn't be open until the New Year... bummer! Oh well, we thought it as time to go anyway. So, Mum and I walked MooMoo to her car and said our fairwells; promising to meet up again next Christmas hopefully.
Now, that's something I'd love to do!
Mum and I kept walking around and found a place called 'Heath's' which is a warehouse at the end of a driveway off the main road. This place has everything and anything you'd ever want in the way of junk and trash and treasure. I found a book on Fred Astaire and Mum bought it for me for around $15! It's a hard cover and absolutely gorgeous!

Soon after that, we decided it was time to come home. Tonight, there's a Trivia Night at the Brunswick Heads Bowls Club. I may yet go to that for the fun of it. Until my next entry!

No comments:

Post a Comment