Saturday, December 5, 2009

Christmas Shopping

I love to go Christmas Shopping. I know that sounds nuts, but I do. However, it's because I am so organised about it that I cram it all into one day that I love to do it. I make sure I take along my blue shopping trolley, a good bag that carries my money, list, umbrella, any medication I may need, hand sanitiser, tissues and my cards for purchasing. And best thing I arm myself with is a good nights' sleep the night before and a pair of very good walking shoes; namely my cross-trainers.

My secret is to have a Christmas Account at the bank. You begin it the year before and put in a certain amount of money each fortnight. Then, by Christmas you're not scratching for money to buy pressies; nor are you trying to think about who wants what. Well, I normally ask what they want well in advance and try to figure out exactly what they need; and then do a 'dry run' about a month in advance at the shopping center of my choice; figuring out exactly which shops I'll be 'hitting' (shopping at) and then when the day arrives that I'll get the Christmas Account money out, I'll just go to those stores and pick up those goods. Easy-peasy! I don't have that much stress around this time of year.

Christmas Shopping - for me - is done on the first week of December. There's none of this running around a week before the big day - or even on the night before. No, no, no. That's just not for me. I'd rather have a few last minute items to pick up, wrap and fix up, then I'm ready to kick back and enjoy the surprised looks on the family's faces when they open their pressies on Christmas Day (better known to some as 'The Orgy of Greed' Day... but I try not think of it that way!). I enjoy giving to the people I love and I try to buy for certain people each year. Last year, I bought for my Mum and Dad, a cousin and my bird. This year, it's my immediate family. Next year, it'll be something entirely different.

Yesterday, I also did a few other things while I did my Christmas Shopping. I got my hair trimmed and met up with a friend I normally e-mail each week. We hardly see each other and it was wonderful to catch up. We had plenty of laughs and she saw what I bought everyone; and thought that Dad's boxers were going to be a hit!
We ran into all kinds of people trying to sell us something. There was one guy who was selling hair straighteners; which also put curls into your hair too. He had a spiel that he had prepared and I humoured him and let him straightened my hair a bit. But then, he said something that let on that he wasn't a hair dresser. He told me that my hair was full of split ends. I almost began giggling right there; and the only person who stopped me was my friend Susan who was also trying not to laugh. We just looked at each other with a smirk on our faces and he kept talking. In the end I did not part with $200 for a silly straightener I'd never use; but it was amusing that he did not notice that I had no split ends.
Susan and I hung around for another hour, picked up something at the chemist and had our photo taken with Santa. Then, I bought one of those cool 'I Love Brisbane' T-shirts (there's a green heart where the word 'love' is) for around $20. I just love them! But time raced away on us and she had to pick up her two girls from school and I had to catch the bus home before all the kids got out of school (and kids on buses aren't my kinda thing!). So, we said our goodbyes and went our ways.

Once home, I unpacked my trolley and wrapped each present; and now they are all under the tree awaiting the great day where they'll be unwrapped. Well, all but one. I'm currently knitting a scarf at the moment for my brother's girlfriend and I'll be finishing it in the next few days or so. All it'll need is some lovely glass bead and it'll be done. I think she'll love it!
So, once this Christmas Season is over, I'll be saving up for next year's 'Silly Season'... and only time will tell what I'll be purchasing for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment