Monday, December 21, 2009

Happy Holidays!

As you can see from the picture I've put in the main title, I'm off on holidays soon. And this is the place! Isn't it lovely? It's called Brunswick Heads and it's on the Far North Coast of New South Wales here in Australia; and a it's a pretty little place too. My family has been holidaying here since I was little and we were supposed to travel further each year, but it didn't quite happen. We found this little town and kept coming here each school holidays as we found friends and planted down camping roots and formed traditions and all the rest of it.

I saw the town grow and shrink in a way too. When I was young, there used to be 20 trawlers that went out through the bar into the deep sea. They'd come back with a fresh catch each time at night. It was fantastic just watching them. Now, though, only two trawlers go out and come back. It's kind of sad to see that so many of them went out of business.

Brunswick has a large pub on Mullumbimby Street. It's been there since the 1940's and it's a popular place on New Year's Eve; along with the Christmas Carnival and Woodchop Festival. Then, there's fishing competitions for the young kids and other activities for the children to do during the public holidays that the church puts on at the primary school on Fingal Street. It also keeps the parents from going mad in the caravan parks trying to keep the kids occupied in such a small space. However, I love going down there for a good reason. It's by the ocean; which I don't get to see very often. Also, it gets me away from the Big Smoke for a while and I breath the fresh ocean air for a little bit. I live on a main road and a noisy kind of area; and so Brunswick being such a quiet little place, I love the sound of the water, kids running around, the boats roaring up and down the river and being able to walk or cycle in the town on a bicycle to look through a second-hand store and pick up an out of print copy of a book I may not find in a big city.

What I'm going to do while I'm away in Brunswick is keep you posted every couple of days on what I get up to. It could be buying a little something or doing nothing much. There'll be photos of the place, what I've purchased that day and places I've been; and I'll report it all here for you to come on my holidays with me so you feel like you've been there too!
So, happy holidays to you! Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah and I'll see you all when I begin recording my time there around 26th or 27th, December, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment