Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Mah Jong Tuesday

Today, it was Mah Jong Tuesday for Mum... so while Dad's car was in getting something done, she took Green Beastie to her destination for the day.  This gave me a chance to get in and do some serious cleaning up around the place.

At around 8am, I put on the laundry and hung it out.  However, by around midday, the weather was still cold, it looked like rain and I wasn't confident that any of it was going to dry properly.  So, I brought it all in, sorted out what was dry, and hung up the rest that was damp on my very cool, big clothes horse.  

Once that was done, I pulled everything out of the pantry - shelf by shelf - and sorted through all the food and threw out anything that was either expired or looked like it wasn't edible.  Before putting it all back, I cleaned the shelves and reorganised where it all went.  This took me about an hour and half and I filled two rubbish bags and took them out to the bin.  I then washed the kitchen floor and started on the lounge room by pulling out one of the drawers in one of the china cabinets and pulling everything in and putting all on the kitchen table.  Man!  Talk about messy!  I grabbed a few zip-lock bags and put some picture-hanging stuff into one and other things into another and found I had more space than I knew what to do with by the time it was all organised.  

The coffee table was next and I grabbed a rubbish bag and threw everything that was actually rubbish into the bag.  Picked up an ice cream container and put all the clothes pegs I hadn't put together into that and put all the things that needed to go upstairs into a 'green' synthetic bag.  
I had picked up a really nice basket to use on the coffee table for my coasters, remote controls and hand cream and put all of those things in it as I cleared off the table of all the junk, used a spray'n'wipe stuff on it and then put everything back.  I then cleaned up the heatproof plate that I use for my teapot completely before putting it on top of the notebooks on the corner.  The coffee table look a lot better than it used to.

I started on the lounge and cleared off more than I thought I was going to and filled up another two rubbish bags and put them out into the bin before I folded up the kitchen towels and took some clothes upstairs and put them away in the wardrobe.  I came back downstairs and looked through my dvd index book and made sure I had kept it updated with names, but I hadn't.  So, I found the tv shows and dvds I bought over the last year or so and wrote them in the right places and put them back in their right places.

By this time, it was almost 3pm.  I had spent 3 hours cleaning out, decluttering and filling up my wheelie bin outside - thank the Gods tonight is bin night!  I then went out the front of my place, sat down and did some writing before I noticed the shrubs in my front garden were in bad need of a trim.  So much for an afternoon of writing... I got up, packed up - after chatting with one of my neighbours - and trimmed the shrubs, removed some stakes from one of them and found it could stand up on its own with just one stake in, then tossed the rubbish trimmings in the green bins up the back of the complex before asking my neighbour if she'd like to see my garden (as she commented on how nice my front garden was).  
She was amazed at how lovely my garden was and asked if it was hard to keep it looking good.  I told her that most of the plants were low-maintenance plants, and I more or less ignored them, watering them once or twice a week, then they grew.  I'd only notice they'd flower in Summer.  She thought growing a garden was hard, but seeing how nice my garden is, it's not really that bad or hard, it just takes time to find the right plants for the garden.  She even let me look at the plants in her front yard and I told her that the last people who planted them were pretty good, choosing plants that low-maintenance and hardy. 

The next thing I knew, it was around 4pm and Dad picked me up to go and get his car, then I drove home.  It's been a long, busy day of laundry, cleaning, and filling up the bin for collection tomorrow.  And tomorrow for me is my grocery shopping day; which in itself is going to be a full day out for me.  Until my next post, take care, stay safe and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment