Friday, November 5, 2010

And Friday's Here!

It's been a weird ol' week for me.  On Sunday, I celebrated Halloween and loved every minute of it by dressing up and chaperoning some of the kids around the unit complex.  It was cool.  My friends said I scrubbed up well to look as evil as I did.  Little Miss Stevie loved me no matter what I dressed as and I have lollies still left over from that night clogging up my cupboards.  Oh well, it was fun for a while.  At least I'm not left with amount I had last year.
Also, I carved up 2 pumpkins instead of the one.  They were big 5kg ones and they looked great... until the possums had a go at them in the back yard.  Jeez, they must have thought I left them a great meal that night!  But it was short-lived as the two pumpkins were gone by Tuesday afternoon for the rubbish pick-up on Wednesday.
And speaking of Tuesday - which was Melbourne Cup Day - I won big time!  I got $88 for Americain and So You Think.  Two great horses; and the second one has already been sold to go overseas!  That was very quick!  Well I didn't just bet on the biggest horse race around; I went out to a luncheon for Epilepsy Queensland.  They had a lovely set-up and an Elvis Presley impersonator and a big screen for the race (which some idiot woman walked up to and changed the channels when she was trying to get to volume turned up... for what reason?  I'm not sure).
Lunch itself was okay... I guess.  The meat-eaters were eating better than the vegetarians.  Their meals came out first and they finished first.  It wasn't well-planned, but dessert was delicious.  The race was just after lunch; which I had to hoover down because I had about 20 minutes to eat it... not a very long time to eat just chickpeas, spinach, potatoes, beetroot and herbs with sesame seeds.  Anyway, I felt like I was being fed something from a Third World Country... not something I'd make in my own home (and believe me, this was something I'd be able to make in my own home too... it would have better if I had something in front of me I didn't know how to make).  Mum's lunch was chicken thigh with Italian bacon, white sauce, asparagus, potato and snow peas.  I would have happily eaten that if I didn't eat meat!  For one thing, it was served up first, and it looked and smelled delicious!  Mine smelled nice... but tasted well, bland.
The best thing out of that day was that I won $88 on a race.  Just as well I only make a bet on that day of the year and no others.  But otherwise, I never lose. 

For the rest of the week, I have been battling with my sinus'.  Mum thinks I've picked up something from the Epilepsy Queensland Luncheon... but I don't get sick that quickly.  Anyway, I'm gong well, as I'm feeling a lot better than I did yesterday.  The best thing is that I slept like a log last night; and slept the whole night through after gargling with salty water twice... blech!... why is it the best things for you always taste the worst?
Yesterday I finish my 3rd book of the Midnight Breed series and then began my 4th book on it.  I'm just zipping through these books!  It's great.  I love how it's written and how it's all explained.  Well, that's it for another week.  Not all that exciting, but that's my week nonetheless.  A funny smell has invaded Logan... it's smells like burning metal... yuk.  Not long after I smelled it, I heard a lot of sirens - fire engine sirens - take off towards Logan Central.  I hope it all okay there because that smell isn't good.  Until my next post, take care.

2 comments:

  1. Well done on the Cup win! It's been about 20 years since I've put anything on it. Anyway, what did you do with your winnings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah, I'm saving that up for Christmas shopping. So, I'll be adding onto it as the weeks go by and buying pressing for everyone. Not too shabby, eh?

    ReplyDelete