Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Melbourne Cup Win!

Yesterday was Melbourne Cup Day and Mum and I went into the city to celebrate at an Epilepsy Queensland luncheon at the Diana Hotel.  It was well-organised with all the horse-like things, and a big screen to watch the races; we even had Elvis Presley made an appearance too!  Then, lunch was served up.  The meat eaters got theirs, and the vegetarians were served their simple meal of chickpeas, herbs, spinach, beetroot and potato pieces with sesame seeds over the top at the very last minute... it was nothing compared with what the meat-eaters were having for lunch (lavish to the last!  Mum had a chicken thigh with Italian bacon, asparagus, white sauce, potato and snow peas!  Yummo!  I would have had that - but with Eggplant instead - for my meal, easy peasy; instead of the horrible chickpea lunch I had.  Why is it that vegetarians always get the blunt end of the deal at restaurants... the cooks seem to think we eat as though we're from a Third World Country; and we don't.  I seriously could have made the meal I was served a lot better at home.  But the dessert was a lot better and so was the entree; so I guess I won two out of three.
The race was fantastic!  My horse won; so did another I had backed.  I'm so pleased they came first and third... but the others I had bet on were nowhere near the top three.  Oh well, can't win them all.  I did get $88 out of the day and Mum won a bottle of wine.  We enjoyed the company at the table and found we had front row seats to the massive screen in front.  
The Elvis Presley impersonator was good.  He took requests from around the room and posed for photos happily as he held his guitar... a lovely gentleman.  He was the Elvis before he put on the weight and took to those horrible jumpsuits in the 1970's.  Yep, he was the better-looking kind of Elvis they all do.. I think everyone likes that one.  However, Mum and I prefer Dean Elvis... he's hotter and better-looking and really gets into the character of him.

The day was finished by Mum bringing me home.  We were tired and I had a headache by around 8pm.  So, I popped a few painkillers took it easy and put the bin out.  After 9:30pm or so, I went to bed and read for a hour or so; almost finishing a book I've been zipping through.  Yep, it was a full day; and Mum and I totally enjoyed ourselves. 
I woke this morning with horrible sinus and a sore throat.  I guess I'll be getting early nights and taking sinus meds until my nose clears up.  Darn pollen!  

No comments:

Post a Comment