Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sir James Galway Visits Brisbane

I have been a very big fan of Sir James Galway for a long time; well, since before he was Knighted by the Queen.  I was around 12 or so when I heard his music and I wanted to play the flute.  It was a thing of beauty and something that I wanted.  So,I did and around the same time, I bought his vinyl and drove everyone nuts in my house with it.
Just after I turned 13, Mum took me to see him in concert at the Concert Hall in the Performing Arts Complex here in Brisbane.  Well!  It was the best thing to happen to me all year!  And seeing the South East Freeway hadn't been put through yet, it took a long time to get into the city.  So, I had to take half a day off school (I think) to go.
It was a great concert and he had a lovely Irish accent when he talked to the audience.  The best thing about that concert in 1986 was that I got to meet him at the stage door.  However, there were only about four other people there with us to meet him.  

This time, the whole Concert Hall was packed.  All kinds of people were there and many looked very bored; but all the same some travelled some distance to see Sir James play.  He still has his lovely Belfast accent and told funny anecdotes about things; making us laugh.  He also played the tin whistle as well as the golden flute.  His lovely wife came out on the stage with him and played too.  She and him play well together and are a great couple in music.  
The best thing is that I got to meet him again.  I showed him the photo from 1986 and he was amazed I had come back to see him play again; and equally amazed that I still had my first vinyl of his.  I told him that I had that one for a long time until a few years ago when I began looking for any others that may have been around of his.  He said that a lot of his music is on cd now; but I said that I love his older stuff on vinyl as it sounds better.  Sir James saw I had his book too and he also signed that; then was pleased to pose for a photo with me and Lady Jane.  It was lovely to catch up with him again; to see him again after all this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment