Friday, April 2, 2010

80's Music Weekend!

This morning, I turned on the radio to find that my favourite rock'n'roll station was playing all the old music from when  I went to primary school!  Don't you just love it when that happens?  It brought back so many funny and weird memories from that time; and what's more, I remembered all the words to the songs!  
I love this kind of music for a good reason too.  It's got a beautiful sound to it.  It's not artificial or pimped and it hasn't been polished to the point that it sounds too good to be true.  I just love it for what it sounded like.  And being a lover of vinyls, I do love to hear the sound of a stylus landing on the edge of one of those things!  I don't know why I do, I just do... I guess it's the way I was brought up.  I know how to put the arm of the turntable across, take a deep breath, let it out slowly and then place the needle on the first track without it sounding like I dropped it from a great height.  And only people from X-Generation and before know how to do that... believe me.
I have been trying to teach a young girl (one of the neighbour's daughters) how to do it with a crappy old vinyl and she still makes it sound like it's being dropped a little and misses the first few bars.  But the last time she had a go, she almost got it right.  She just needed practice and to be patient enough to do it.  However, it's not her fault she hasn't been taught this kind of thing.
You see, it's the technology that is lacking in this world.  Kids aren't being shown the old technology that was around in the past that has made the new technology possible.  Yes, it's great to hear my old 1980's songs... but originally they were on vinyl and now they are found on c.d.  I do enjoy both; however I do believe the songs sound better on the old flat black beauties!  But I think that's just me getting older and feeling a little left behind sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment