Sunday, April 25, 2010

ANZAC Day

Today, I attended a later ANZAC Day service than I usually do; and it was just as touching as last year's Dawn Service.  However, we didn't go to 'Diggers' like we usually did, instead Mum, Dad and I walked up to the Springwood Park and attended the 8am service up there.  And what a warm one it turned out to be!
We had missed the parade from the Springwood Community Centre and so we got there just in time for the whole ceremony to begin.  I found myself a good spot to take some very nice photos and found we were amongst hundreds of people from all around Springwood, Rochedale, Underwood and other parts of Logan City.  The Springwood State High School band was there and I was seeing for the first time the cenotaph that had been placed at the park for this purpose; and it looks wonderful!  The Australian Army personnel marched out and took their places, stood to attention with their weapons pointed to the ground for the whole ceremony as a General made a poignant speech about how ANZAC Day is important to us as a nation. He told how much some people didn't want it to be celebrated anymore and how much it should be and why.  I felt very moved by what he said; and thought it was a well-written speech.We had the laying of the wreaths after a poem was read out, a prayer was made by a female priest and 'Amazing Grace' was sung.  I found the whole ceremony was wonderful and sad at the same time; and got some good photos to mark the moment.

Afterwards, I went back to Mum and Dad's place for a cuppa and uploaded my photos onto their computer and ended up coming home at around 11am or so.  I'm thinking of taking it easy this afternoon and doing some reading or playing the piano a little; I'm not sure. I do know some friends are coming by to drop off some books and hang out for a little while.  We might play some piano together.

No comments:

Post a Comment