Monday, April 26, 2010

April's Something Different!

This month has definitely been something different.  Autumn has been slowly, but surely showing its face.  It's been raining a lot.  And I got new neighbours.  Yep, Abdur/Abdul sold his unit and I had some people move in next door who - within the first week acted as though they were on a marathon television show to fix a house up.  I know the sarcasm isn't a good thing to show, but really, they drove me nuts with booming loud music, chainsawing two trees in their backyard over the Easter Weekend and getting their plumbing fixed (which is still affecting my house by making my pipes hammer).  Whatever they did isn't doing my house any good.  Otherwise, they're nice people.
This month, I've had Little Miss Stevie for 5 years.  And so, I decided to get her well-known around the place and suggest a Month of Animals on 365 Project and a lot of people thought it was just the cutest and most thoughtful thing I could do... and jumped on board to showcase their animals too.  I said it could be from any year and they were all into it.  Now, it's coming to the end of the month, everyone's pumped how cute my Little Miss Stevie is; and I've gotten more followers than ever on this site.  

I had another one of those Sunday Afternoons out and about the city.  But I went into a different part of it.  Gabe and Katrina went into West End at the Boundary Hotel on Boundary Street and his band played a set there for the afternoon.  So, when Mum and Dad dropped off Riley, Dad suggested out of the blue (well, to me) that we drop in on them, I said that I hadn't brought my meds.  We had a fight about it and I said that I didn't think I'd be home after dinner... well, I didn't.  Anyway, we went there and hung out and I took some photos of the band and a film of it on my camera too.  A few days later, I transferred them over to a cd and posted it off to Gabe's work attentioned to him and he loves what I did.

On 16th, April, I had the most amazing time!  My 'Victor' Paling & Company piano was tuned!  Finally, I was going to hear what this beautiful instrument was supposed to sound like!  It had been out of tune my entire life and I had been waiting 8 months to get it tuned.  When Martin from Dittmans Music came in, he said it looked lovely; but his mouth dropped when he pulled the front panel down and told me that my 'Victor' was from the 1920's!  I'm so thrilled I have such an old piano in such gorgeous condition!  Well, Martin couldn't do much with it on that day, just tighten 'er up a little.  Then he returned on the following Tuesday and and finished the tuning... he kept saying he was going to 'make her sing, make her fly.'  He also offered to tune her for the rest of my life... I of course said yes.  We got talking about it more on Tuesday and he found out how I got to own it and why it wasn't in tune at any point in my life.  But he said to learn to play jazz and blues - as I've planned - because it is from that era and it deserves to have that played on its keys.
A few days ago, I thought to update my profile on the 'Collectors' site.  It's a bit dated and so I thought it was time to get to it and finish what I started.  I uploaded around 15 photos of 'new' bags and coin purses, re-wrote my piece about me, put in 2 links to 2 of my blogs and made sure it looked okay before leaving my photos to be accepted by 'Collectors'.  And now those photos have been accepted, I've been in to have a look at them all and I'm happy with them.

Yesterday was ANZAC Day.  I went to the Springwood Park to commemorate our fallen soldiers from World War 1.  It was a beautiful day; the skies were blue and the sun shone hot and bright in the sky.  We were all crowded around the cenotaph (which I've never seen; but found it was lovely and very fitting) as the Australian Army personnel stood at attention at the corners in the heat with their weapons lowered to the ground and guest speakers talked about fallen soldiers, the ones that came back to us and the others who have come back mentally scarred.  There was a General there who talked passionately about how there are people who don't wish for ANZAC Day to be commemorated anymore.  He gave the most poignant speech about why we have been remembering our soldiers for 95 years now; and why we will be doing it for another 95 years.  This day makes me proud to be an Australian and I don't wish for it to be removed from our calendar because of what other people want.  Mum did notice that there weren't any Muslims or Islamic people at the ceremony.  I hadn't really been looking for them until she mentioned it.
So, this was my month of differences... didn't seem as exciting as last month.  But I guess it depends on how you look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment