Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Vinyl Sale! And I Scored!

I love vinyls... I was brought up on them.  Yep, I'm an X-Gen and proud of it.  My life was - and still is - inundated with vinyls. I play them, hunt for the right one and love them to death once I find the one I've been looking for (I sound like a U2 song!  And that came out on vinyl first too!).  
Yesterday, I went to 'Rockaways' vinyl sale.  It was great! I found so many vinyls for around $4.00 each!  If had more money I would have come home with more than four!  But I chose carefully and bought Jethro Tull, Paul McCartney, Don McLean and a soundtrack of Eddie and the Cruisers.  I had been out to Garden City and so was on my way to Mum's house and so by the time I got there, I rummaged through my bag and realised I had forgotten my house keys for her place.  A big oops for me!  Usually I put them in but not yesterday.  Anyway, I waited for her for about 45 minutes and she came home and she was amazed at the vinyls asking where the sale was and that the price was pretty good.

I got them home, cleaned them and played a few to find that the Don McLean one not only had 'American Pie' (the extended version) on it, but one my favourite songs of his: 'Vincent'.  This is a song he wrote dedicated to Vincent Van Gogh and his art and how creative he was but nobody noticed it until it was too late. This song always brings tears to my eyes.  



I think Don McLean has the most wonderful voice.  It's beautiful and clean and very expressive; what do you think?

I think this is why I love vinyls the more than cds and I try to get them in my collect if I can.  They are wonderful.  I grew up with them in my life and I was taught to put the stylus on the edge freehand.  And once I moved into my own place, I found a brand name (Sony) that carried a turntable which was easy to assemble (that is if you read the instructions halfway through then tossed them away!  Seriously... that's what happened... funny really).  I'd never turn my back on vinyls.  They will always be a part of my life; and I will always have a pretty good collection of them.  And if you haven't tried them out, give them a try, you never know, you may yet like them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment