Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Big Clean Up - Part One

Well, this is a bigger thing than I first thought.  Cleaning my house used to be an easy thing; until I let it go a little.  Now, I'm not walking around a place that's just full of little pathways (and yes, I know somebody who lives like that; I won't mention their name here to protect their privacy).  But I have begun on the Big Clean Up for this year; now that I have cleaned out this townhouse, I can put everything away.
The first place I attacked was my art area next to the back door, near the laundry.  It badly needed a clean out and a clean up; as I had paint inside the large black container on wheels that hadn't seen the light of day for over 2 years.  And when you've stopped using acrylic paint for that long, it get gluggy and separate and look like glue.  So, instead of going through all of it, I tossed it all and refilled the entire container with the paints I'm using now.  Then, I found out I had about 20 small canvasboards!  Yeah, you read right!  20 of them little things!  Wow!  So, I got them all together and sat them out so I can get to them.  And if that's not enough, I have about 7 of the ones that are 2 sizes up... that's going to keep me painting for a good long time! I think I'll begin working on some miniatures.
After putting out a massive bag of rubbish, I found the art corner was more spacious and the black box had stuff in it I had been looking for for the last year... I really should get a proper cupboard so all I need to do is open the door and it's all in there sitting there looking at me waiting for me to use it.  
Right now, though, I'm in the process of replacing my detailing brushes.  It's an expensive thing to do, but I'm looking at the right ones and tossing out the old ones; but when it comes to using them all, I'm grateful I'm doing it.  Also, I'm keeping their plastic protectors on them instead of tossing that part of them away.  It keeps all the bristles nice and straight and in good condition.
So, that's the first area I've done in my house.  The next one will be downstairs as well.  I'll be keeping my office as the last place to do as I spend a lot of time in here on the net.

Another place I have done is the books I've registered
for Bookcrossing.  They used to be all over the place.  Now, they are in a 'green' bag and a box; all ready for sending off, and they're sitting neatly next to the filing cabinet and not under my feet as before.  I have also organised a box of goodies that I can go through so I can send things away when I mean to.  In this box, there's gifts and goodies for people that I can just find and include in parcels without having to run around wondering where they are.  My purple basket from my birthday is still in use as a container of what I've received.

So, until I post again about the Big Tidy-Up... I hope you're all keeping well.  I'm hoping to have the house in a such a way that I don't have to work too hard on it... a little like my garden really; low maintenance but looking good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment