Sunday, July 11, 2010

Saturday Night

I've had a good weekend; but it didn't start out that way.  Since my allergic reaction to the cheaper brand of Topamax, I've been a little blah... so it wasn't until Friday afternoon that I actually felt anywhere near my old self again.
Then, Saturday came around and I had some cleaning up to do as a couple of my friends were dropping by.  So, I filled the kettle, ate some nice hot raisin toast and tidied up the lounge so that we'd have somewhere to sit.  Just before they arrived, I practiced my piano and turned on the AFL game between the Hawthorne and Geelong at the MCG.  My friends arrived and I turned the sound down so we could talk.  When the second half finished, I turned the television off as the half-time adverts were going to take about 15 minutes.  Anyway, during that time, we heard a loud bang; and thought it was the construction crew next door at the fire station.  However after my friends left to go home, I found that I had no power.  So, I called up Energex and found that we were going to have no electricity until 5pm.  Bummer!  That's when the gamed finished!  So, I began to get ready for my next appointment for tonight:  Katrina's Birthday Dinner.

I was ready about an hour and a half before I was supposed to be because there was nothing else to do.  I had laundry to bring in at 4pm and so I got that brought in and then I closed up the house, covered Little Miss Stevie and had the candles pulled down and dusted off ready to use.  And before long, I had them all lit and my reading lamp out with the battery-run radio going too.  I checked up on when we were going to get power again and Energex said not until 7pm.  Wonderful, I smsed Mum and Dad and told them I was still sitting in the dark.
So, when we left my place, my side of the street was in complete darkness and Energex crews were working hard at getting a transformer back on track quickly.  We arrived at the Punjab Palace and Gabe and Katrina and her Mum and other friends were there.  It was a good night.  I ordered a mild Tikka Masala with prawns and tried out a sweet Lassi (a milk and yoghurt drink) and they were both delicious.  Gabe told me that the Lassi was something he drank every day he was in India to keep his gut from turning against him.  And I reckon it's a good thing I did drink it; as today, I haven't had the usual reactions I do to Indian food.  It's been pretty mild actually.  
When we finished dinner, we walked to The Boundary Hotel and listened to a wicked blues band called The Blind Dog.  And when they had a break, they called upon some of the local musicians who were locals to the pub to fill in for them.  It was really cool... it was like they jumped in for a jam session for a little while then gave back the gear once the original band took a break.  The place was absolutely jumping when we arrived and we had even more people pile in as the music got louder.  It was fantastic.  They covered some great songs too from James Brown as well (one of my favourites). 
And a funny thing happened.  I sat down on a stool - because my feet were killing me - and almost immediately, an Aussie sat on my left (a very polite one who asked if the seat was taken) and a Maori came to me on my right and tried to chat me up.  Ever since I began clubbing, New Zealanders Maoris have been chatting me up in clubs and pubs.  And since this is the first time I've been in a pub after dark for about a decade, it's as if I never left.  This one got me to take a photo with some people, talked to me about the band and the music and got me to mind his beer while he was went to the men's for a minute.  He was nice and all, but really, I still wonder why he chose to talk to me.  I was there mainly to listen to the music with my family.  Soon after, when he had his back turned, I walked over to Mum and Dad and asked when we were going to take off as I had just looked at my watch and saw it was 10:45pm.  They said they were thinking of going after the end of the song; and we did.
We wished Katrina a happy birthday and Gabe saw us off outside.  He was happy I could make it; so was Katrina.  I left a birthday message on her mobile this morning and she smsed me back saying it was great to see me last night.
Well, once home, I found the power was back on and so I watched the last half hour of 'The Notebook' and went off to bed where I crashed and - on waking this morning - found I hadn't moved an inch from the position I had fallen asleep in.  Boy!  I must have been tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment