Friday, May 6, 2011

A Busy Week

A lot went on this week; and I didn't get time to write about it in my normal journal.  But here I am telling you all here; and I have some great photos to document my time in Brisbane City too.  
On Monday, we had the fencing guy show up again.  He chainsawed and hammered his way around the unit complex fixing up old, rotting fences; making the place look good.  It drove a lot of us tenants who were homebodies a little nuts, but the results are great.  And I gotta say that the places that got done look fantastic.  I can't wait until the Body Corporates of the unit complexes which neighbour each other here work together to get our boundary fences done.  then, it will look even better!  But, of course, that will take more time.
On Tuesday, I went out with Mum, Dad and Aunty Helen to see the Endeavour, which was docked at Eagle Street Pier.  And for such a historical ship, it's really tiny... smaller than I thought it would be.  It housed 97 people on board in its hey day and that didn't include visitors or livestock.  So, that made things pretty cramped!  And when you think that they have only 60 people on board today, that was a lot of people working on a small vessel... and Capt. Cook had to keep them all healthy and working too.  
While we were there, the weather didn't look great.  But we were talking into leaving our bags with some volunteers from the Maritime Museum of Australia; being told we were not allowed on board with our bags.  My bag wasn't that big and Mum's backpack wasn't that bad really.  So, we entrusted our stuff with them (after I had said no more than enough times and then was told flat out that I couldn't go on board with my bag, I handed it over).  While on board the ship, a thunderstorm passed overhead and we were below decks.  So, when we came up from the stern and Joseph Banks' and Capt. Cook's cabins, it was pouring rain... not good for anyone's cameras.  I took off my hat (which I didn't need in the first place) and stuffed my camera under my shirt.  After a little while, I (as well as others) ran along the gangplank and under the awning of a restaurant.  Dad complained he was hungry; I wanted my bag.  We fought over what was more important; and it turned out that it was his stomach... I really didn't want to leave my bag with those people (who were only volunteers after all) with my stuff.  By the time we got back to pick it all up, not only was it all still there, but our bags had been sitting in a pool of water!  That meant that my bag was soaked through, my phone was wet, my notebook, my cards, house keys, my remote control for my unit complex... everything... had been sitting in the water for about 2 hours!  I was angry!  And when I stated that my bag was wet - as was Mum's - these volunteers didn't do anything to help.  They just gave us blanks looks and ooh and ahh over it all.  I had even bought a book on Capt. Cook's Biography (an up-to-date one) for $30.00 and it had gotten wet too... but they didn't say anything about that either!  My phone now has lines all across its screen; and this is after I've pulled it apart and dried it out... now I have to buy a new phone!  This really shits me right off!
Then, on Wednesday, I could barely move because my legs were killing me from all that climbing that we had to do from that ship.  So, I just kept on stretching the muscles out and making sure I walked around a lot all day to keep them moving.
On Thursday, I was out early.  However, my day wasn't complete without a funny encounter with my back neighbour's little dog called Louis.  He's a Japanese breed of lapdog and is the cutest thing!  But you see, we have a hole in the fence which I've plugged with a disused pot.  Well, I decided that morning to changed the pot over as he was beginning to nudge it to one side with his nose.  So, while I did that, he watched on curiously.  As soon as the old pot was removed, he took full advantage of the gap and dashed through into my yard!  Well, he ran around in circles, rolled around and had a fun time avoiding me while he ran around on my lawn!  It was funny - and naughty - of him at the same time.  Eventually, I caught him and he was shaking and wiggling with happiness and joy in my arms as he washed my nose with his tongue and his tail tickled under my arm.  I slotted him straight back through into his yard and pushed the pot back into place and have his little head another pat before going back inside and scrubbing my hands to get ready to go out.  Before I left, I came back out to check on the pot and make sure it was in the right spot and found he had begun digging a hole right next to it.  So, I found the long plank of wood I have had in my carport for some years now and pushed it against the bottom of the fence to prevent him from digging there.  Poor little Louis gave me a sad look as he sat there looking at the blocked passage and I wished I could have him in my yard; but it'd be wrong to let him... as he's already got loving and wonderful owners, they were both out working hard that day.  
I got to work at the Logan Art Gallery and we had a busy shift of sending out mail before the next shift of people came in, selling a scarf (where the person who bought it short-changed us by accident) and then, just as we were changing over, a home-schooling group was arriving to start their 2 hour class for toddlers.  
When I got home, Louis was still alone; his owners still being at work.  So, I had a shower and got into my art gear to work on my self-portrait and went out to see how he had spent his day.  He hadn't dug anymore holes, but he was waiting impatiently for his owners to come home.  When he saw me, he was so pleased to find somebody to pat him; and I did to settle him down a little... tickling him on the tummy and giving him a good scratch.  He was settled after that until Zef came home and gave him a good cuddle and some food.  I thought of telling Zef about Louis' little escape job into my yard, but then thought it would be a cool little secret between their pup and me.  
Today, I hung around on here for a bit, jumped offline and had a nice hot shower to warm up.  After washing my hair, I sat outside and got my nose into a book about left-handed people in history; a very interesting book about how many left-handed people were in history and how different the world would be without them around.  So far, I've read about Ramses II, Alexander the Great and Caesar... all great lefties of their time; and all left a mark in history nobody will forget.  However, it is noticeable that left-handed people do have a rather bad temper... it's not redheads that hold that record, it's lefties with the short fuse.  Interesting info, eh?
Well, tomorrow I might be going out; I'm not sure.  It ought to be a good day out... fun and with family too.  Until my next post, I hope you all enjoy your Mother's day, keep safe, stay warm and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment