Monday, May 16, 2011

Interesting Weekend

I had the most interesting weekend; beginning on Friday.  Mum and I went out and found out that my mobile phone didn't have water damage from that day out on the Endeavour.  It was because something heavy had been leaning on the screen.  We think it was because Mum's bag had been sitting on top of mine that day when we returned from the ship that caused the damage.  If only I had taken my bag with me, none of this would have happened.
Well, we spent a little while in an op-shop for the Asthma Foundation; and the place had a really bad air-conditioning problem.  Mum could barely breath in there; and I didn't want to spend too much time in there either.  But I did find some very cute little coin purses in the place.  There was a glo-mesh bag which was pretty, but once you got it open, it wouldn't close; so I decided not to buy it.
Otherwise, we dropped in on Aunty Narelle and Uncle Iain on the way home for a cuppa and we swapped stories about things we did in New Zealand.  Aunty Narelle told us about the Shotover River Boat Ride; and her experience with it.  Then, after we finished laughing about that, I told her about how my time on that ride too and how I nearly ended up in the drink because I was swapping seats with a guy from the front and not many people were helping due to them all helping him.  And once I was at the front?  Well, then, I didn't to get off the boat!  It was so good to be able to remember that from my New Zealand trip.
Then, during the week, I couldn't get onto Blogger because it was being maintained and updated.  So, I was stuck with just reading it.  Not a very exciting way of hanging about.  Instead of feeling put off, I began working on some more stories and some more Fry Nelson stories.  And seeing I pushed myself, I'm on a bit of a roll with them again; and this makes me very happy.  I haven't been sleeping all that well lately and so, seeing I'm back into my artwork and writing, I've been exhausted when I go to bed and just going straight to sleep instead of being awake for hours on end; and this is good.
 On Saturday, I completed my first self-portrait.  It took me all of four or five months and two attempts, and it looks beautiful!  I love it!  I never knew I'd learn so much about myself, painting and colour than I have in the last four months.  And seeing most of it was finished, I had to take it outside in the sun to make sure the colours were right, the skin was even and that the hair looked as good as it was going to get.  And after around an hour and a half, I was completely happy with it, packed up my paint, water, brushes, phone and cushion and took it down to unit 16 to show Lisa and Betty as they've only seen photos of it.  Well, Lisa thought it was absolutely amazing!  Betty didn't know it was as big as it is.  But they both thought it was beautiful.  And we talked about all kinds of stuff for about an hour before it started to get cold again and we all headed inside.  I needed to sign it and put it away and start on dinner.  But instead, I pulled out another piece of Masonite and propped it up on the easel for the next day.
On Sunday, I did some housework, read the paper and put up with my noisy neighbours coming home.  Truthfully, I thought they were home the night before by the the way their house was acting; with all the knocking and bonking going on in their pipes.  I could have sworn they were washing up or doing laundry.  But they had gone out early Saturday afternoon and were away overnight.  So, when they arrived home around 7am on Sunday, I was really surprised.  Anyway, Sunday was a good day to get in and wash up, do some reading and sand down the next piece of masonite for my next painting.  I took my time with this one as it's a large piece.  And I used the rest of the reds and white and a bit of water as the background.  
Last night, before 'Castle' I started on the three flowers I've had in my head all afternoon.  As with my portrait, I got a paintbrush and some white paint and did the outlines.  Now, I've  got to get in and work on the colouring and see where it takes me.  I want to see if I can get the same effects as I did with my portrait.  If I can, well, I've found my niche.   Until my next post, take care, keep warm and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment