Saturday, May 28, 2011

May's Something Different!

This month was most certainly something really for the record books!  And beginning with my first post, it really caught the world's attention in the biggest way.  When the world learned that Bin Laden was dead, I just had to listen to President Obama's speech... it was brilliant and amazing that this man had orchestrated this in such a way.  I've always respected this American President; and now I hold more respect for him.
I went out into the city early in May to see the replica of the Endeavour; the ship that was used to discover a good lot of the Southern Oceans by Captain James Cook, well, until his death in Hawaii.  It's not the biggest ship I've seen, but I was amazed it held 97 people in it hey day; and that didn't include livestock and visitors.  And today, it's still a bit of a squeeze with 60 people on board.  We had a storm that day and our stuff in the portable cloakrooms got drenched; which still haven't been fixed up about yet.  I've still got to get a new phone.
Mother's Day weekend was a very tiring one for me as my next door neighbours had absolutely no respect for anyone around them as they vacuumed out their car at 7am on the Saturday morning.  This took an hour.  Then, on Sunday, Mum, Dad and I went to Gabe, Kat and Riley's house for dinner.  We arrived at around 1pm and I read a little while Mum and Kat chatted about sewing and cooking. Then, Riley and Gabe arrived back and the afternoon really got going.  Gabe made a Tortilla machine and used it to flatten out the tortillas he made and then we ate dinner!  For dessert, there was a delicious baked custard and Gabe made coffee... yummo!
Around the middle of this month, I finished painting my self-portrait.  I'm rather proud of it and love how it turned out!  It took two attempts and I've got it up as my profile picture on Facebook... and most of my family and friends love it.  I'll see how my portrait looks when I do another in a few years' time.
Not long after my portrait was finished, the weather became rather cold.  So, I've been digging out my Winter Woolies lately and eating plenty of comfort foods for dinner.  And during this month, I also bought two pillows for my bed to replace the ones that were there for the last few years; and since I have, the dreadful cough I've had has vanished.
Towards the end of this month, I found that I've been taking some really fun photos lately.  So, I thought to share some of them with you all.  This is going to be a regular item in my posts.  Some of them will be collages, while others will be just regular photos I've fixed up on Picnik.  I hope you enjoy the new feature I've thought of putting up here... and yes, there's a label for it too on the sidebar in case you wish to only peruse that particular item.
We've been seeing a lot of Kookaburras lately; and they've been nice enough to stick around long enough for me to take some photos of them sitting on the fence.  I even found one sunning itself on the old parts of my clothesline... such a lovely big Kookaburra and he seemed so content that I don't think he minded me being there at all and just wished to have the sun on him that afternoon.  And as my late-Grandma always told me that when you see a Kookaburra, rain will come soon after.  Ironically, they have forecast rain tomorrow and for the rest of next week.
In this last week, I bought three books, went to a Life Drawing Class in South Brisbane, went out shopping and enjoyed the colder weather for the last few days.  Today has been a lovely day - besides the neighbours waking everyone up with their musical car swapping fiasco at 7am - for laundry and getting stuff done around the place.  I went to play the piano and found that one of the keys was out after its tuning.  So, I called Martin and asked him about it.  He's coming around either tomorrow or Monday to fix it up for me; saying it sounded like something was out of alignment.  Well, that was my month of something different... and wasn't it so?  What did you do to make your month different?  Until my next post, keep safe and warm, and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment