Friday, December 23, 2011

A Few Recipes for Christmas

It's getting so close it's not funny... Christmas that is.  So, I thought to keep this post light and fun for you all and put in a lovely recipe you can have a go at today for tomorrow or Christmas Day.  It's my famous Turkish Carrot Dip... a favourite with my family and something I found on Food Safari when my SBS reception was dreadful; so I couldn't see how to do it and had to use my imagination!

Ingredients:
3 Big Carrots
1kg tub of Natural Yoghurt
1 Pinch of Sea Salt (ground)
1 Clove of garlic
Method:

Skin and grate the carrots and put into a large pan over a low heat with a tablespoon of olive oil.  Cook slowly until the carrot turns a brighter orange colour and softens - losing its crunch but not turning brown (taste it to find out; you'll know what I mean).  While it's slowly cooking, put all the yoghurt into a large bowl (this will be your serving bowl) add the pinch of salt and push the garlic through a crusher and mix it all through, then put this bowl in the fridge to keep cold.
Once the carrot is cooked and cooled off completely, get the bowl of yoghurt out of the fridge and begin adding and folding through the carrot a few spoonfuls at a time.  Once it's mixed through, add either some sliced olives on top or a sprinkle of paprika and it's ready to serve.  
This is best made the day before and can be used as a dip as well as a condiment... so split it in two and serve some up a little at a time.  People will love it.  This can also be made with beetroot as well.  However, seeing I'm not a fan of beetroot, I have always made it with carrots.  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment