Saturday, June 26, 2010

Shortest Day of the Year

Today, here in the Southern Hemisphere, is the shortest day of the year.  Yep, after today, our days will be getting longer; but that doesn't mean they'll be getting warmer.  We're still suffering through our Winter, it just means we're exactly halfway through this particular season.

Well, today, I woke at 6am and snoozed until 7am when I got out of bed, dressed and readied myself to go out to a camera course put on by Photo Continental at Upper Mount Gravatt.  They do these  things for people to get better at photography and to know their cameras.
Anyway, Mum and I arrived while it was still coolish.  The low cloud and fog was still touching the top of Mt Gravatt and hardly any shops were open when we parked the car.  Well, we were the only people - along with another lady - to show because the guy who was conducting the course was horribly sick.  The man who came out to greet us said that they had been trying to call us since around 7:40am but couldn't get through; yet we were there before the course was to start.

So what now? 
We decided to go to the shops across the road and look around the post office there.  I knew of a Life Line store there and so waited until it was open to look through its supply of handbags and coin purses.  They didn't have much in the way of coin purses, but their handbags were just lovely.  So, I bought three and Mum looked around the shop at other
things.  We then looked at some of the clothes and I tried on a collection of clothes that didn't look much; but they were just beautiful once I had them on!  I even spotted a jacket (after Mum spotted it) that was brilliant once I put
it on over one of the shirts Mum got me to put on.  And in the end we scored the three handbags (which I paid for) and about 5 or 6 tops and a jacket.  My handbags came to $20 and the clothes came to under $50.  Not bad for an hour's shopping in a charity store if you ask me!

We took off to MacDonald's for a coffee and some raisin toast.  I asked for a standard De-caf latte.  What came out was a very tall glass of hot coffee milk... so big it was that I couldn't finish it.  Normally, coffee from Macca's makes me feel a little bloated, but having this much milk would make me ill.  So, I drank around half of it and left the rest saying it was too much.  Mum said we could stay a little longer, but I said no, it was far too much for me to drink in one sitting; and besides we had our own things to do.
On the way home, we dropped in on Aunty Heather.  Well, she's not really my Aunt, she's my Mum's best friend from school; and they've been such wonderful friends that my brother and I have called her Aunty Heather for as far back as I can remember; and so we still do.  Well, Aunty Heather has been very sick for the last few weeks and Mum had to drop off some things to her house; and after around half an hour of chatting out the front, we wish her well and drove off.
Mum drove me home and I unloaded my gear into the lounge, took a look around and realised my house was really messy so I began cleaning up and putting things away downstairs.  It'll take a little while, but I'll get it all done and back to what it was before Gabe arrives next week.  

Also, I was expecting a friend over.  So, I jumped online, uploaded my daily 365 photo, checked the mail, fiddled on Farmville and did some things on 'My Reading List' and then jumped off by around 1:30pm.  I cleaned up a little more and practiced some of the piano until Geoff arrived; and we chatted for about 2 hours until he had to leave to pick up one of his friends from a bus station to play cricket before the sun went down.

What's really gotten to me is that I've let my Big Tidy Up fall by the wayside.  I hate it when I want to finish something I've started and I don't.  It's just sheer laziness, I tell ya... really it is.  So,  got back into it again today just before Geoff arrived; and I'll keep at it if there's nothing else to do tonight... otherwise, tonight, for me, it's going to be a nice quiet night.  I might watch a movie or a dvd yet.  I'm not sure.   But it's going to be an evening of making sure my house is nice and warm as next week is supposed to be getting really cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment