Wednesday, June 30, 2010

End of the Month...

You wouldn't believe it... it's the middle of Winter, and usually it's not that cold here in Brisbane, but we're freezing our butts off.  Today it's going to be 18 degrees Celsius and yesterday it was only 16 degrees Celsius!  And what made things worse was that I've come down with a head cold... blech!  Not my favourite time of year to be sick.  Well, I don't really mind it, so long the sun is out and I can sit out in it and sweat out the virus until it's gone.  But I can't, so here we all are freezing instead.
Yesterday, I was supposed to get some tidying up done, but with a runny nose and sneezing all the time, I played some piano and made some raisin toast with a hot cup of ginger tea instead.  The heater was brought out of hibernation and wiped down and switched on for a good part of the afternoon and into the evening until around an hour before I went off to bed.  And even then, I put on an extra layer of warmth onto the bed... my Grandma's heavy orange bedspread (that thing will keep anyone warm) before I put the feather-down duvet on top.  Well, once I hit the pillow, I didn't move until 5:30 this morning!  Yep, I was out like a light.

This morning, at 9am, while I was walking to the post office, I could still see my breath as I walked there.  I was wearing a beanie and all my warm clothes and I could still feel the chill seeping through!  And now, I'm on here in what has got to be the coldest room in my house!  I'm still rugged up and rubbing my numb hands together once in a while to keep them warm (nope, typing does nothing to keep them going; and what's more is that I have bad arthritis... and that's horrible in any weather... which more often than not effects only my hands).  I hope it all gets better soon.
In the past day, I have had two boiling hot showers a day, been eating enough garlic to keep even the most vicious vampire away and making sure I get enough sleep at night... with the help of Polarimine.  It's a great antihistamine that makes your nose dry up but also makes you drowsy too... so is best taken at night an hour before bed.  Clarentine is being taken during the day and that's been working okay for now; I still need the odd few tissues once in a while, but I'm okay.
All I want is to get over this cold, the weather to warm up a little bit and the sun to come out for a few days.  If that can happen for just a little while (especially in Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart and Adelaide too; as Brisbane isn't the only city shivering away here), that'd be wonderful.

I hope you are all enjoying your holidays in one way or another.  Until my next post, keep warm (or cool); whatever your case may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment