Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Wedding.... or Not?

It's been coming for a long time now; and that's the Royal Wedding of William and Kate.  Now, I'm not going to watch it as the whole thing with the Royal Family in the UK bores me to tears; and truthfully, I just don't wish to see another young couple get followed around by idiots with cameras and have their lives ruined because they want to get that money shot.
Now, tonight, when I get myself home, I'm going to get myself some pizza, and settle down in front of the television with a couple of good dvds... which ones I'm not quite sure.  I'll pick 'em out when the time comes.  Then, I'll head off to bed and not worry about how long it took or who did what, or what happened when, or which television channel could pick apart the wedding better... because in all honesty, I don't care.
Now, before anyone comes at me with a pitchfork and acts like this is a witch hunt, saying it's wrong for me to voice this kind of opinion.  You have to understand something.  I was over in the UK when Lady Diana and Dodi died in Paris.  It was a horrible shock to wake up in St. Neots and find out that dreadful news on that wet day and still have to go ahead with my plans to go off to Cambridge by bus; but to make a detour to sign a Condolences Book (which in my honest opinion was handed out pretty darn quick!  Too quick to be something off the cuff).  These books looked very well-made, they were leather, had the royal seal on them, were guild-edged and had the most wonderful paper inside with lines that didn't quite reach the edges.  I couldn't believe they were asking the public to write on such beauty!  And I wrote my page and a half (or so) on behalf my Grandpa - who always called Lady Di his girlfriend.  
I saw shrines of flowers all over the place.  You couldn't pass a church or a marketplace where people had laid them down with her name plastered all over them.  I even bought a Sunflower - as it reminded me of her personality - and wrote a sweet card to her family (which the florist placed in a little plastic sleeve so it wouldn't run when it rained).  I placed it outside St. Neots' Church (well, one of them, there's a few in the town).  I was in Chester for the funeral and the people I stayed with and myself found out very quickly that you couldn't get into or out of London for about two days before or after the funeral.  There were people sleeping on trains and in the parks and streets to just get a good place for the service.  
And if that wasn't bad enough, all the television stations and radio stations took up coverage of it all.  We didn't have a choice in what to watch.  If you had to television on, you were watching Diana's funeral service... it was shoved down your throat.  What people don't know is that once they finished the coverage, they went back over the whole service on Channel 4 and picked her whole service to bits!  It was sickening.  Instead of leaving it alone and saying it was a lovely farewell and all; they couldn't just leave her alone!  Not only did they pick her life to bits, but also picked her funeral to bits.
During the time I was visiting the shrines, I felt I couldnt' say anything to anyone that was right.  It was best if I kept my mouth shut and just nodded and walked away before anyone asked me a question that required my voice.  As soon as I opened my mouth, I was insulted by the English, with them telling me to go back to my home country and calling me a convict.  I never knew what to say at first until one day, I turned around and said, "Hate to tell ya this, but I am home. My convicts came from here and were taken to a prison of a country where your government expected them to die."
When I returned from the UK, I couldn't really talk about what happened with Diana because nobody had experienced it the way I had.  People I knew had been here in Australia when they heard about it... not there.  I can barely look at a photo of her without crying... and it's because all these years later, they are still picking to bits the case of how she died when they should just leave it alone.... leave her alone.  She's gone, the world's most lovely person isn't here anymore and we all have to deal with it; and not just the English, everyone.
So, this is why I'm not watching this wedding.  No disrespect to her dear and wonderful son, William.  He's grown in to a brilliant young man because of his Mother and her influence on him.  It's the Royal Family that I don't like; not him.

No comments:

Post a Comment