Wednesday, November 30, 2011

November's Something Different!

The beginning of this month was uber-busy!  After Halloween was done for another year - and I didn't get a single Trick-or-Treater - we had the next day to contend with.  And the next day was Melbourne Cup Day.  Mum and I placed our bets at the TAB and then we made our way to the Logan Entertainment Centre where we had lunch at Limelight with about 20 other people.  It was a great day of eating, sweepstakes and watching the famous Race That Stops A Nation.  Mum and I won some money as our bets won us a cool $50 or so.
The next day, Mum and I were off to the Epilepsy Symposia at Southbank; nice and early.  We took the bus into the city and walked there and found it was a good morning, and lousy afternoon.  The morning was full of debates and funny stuff while the afternoon was full of too much information given in such a way that we didn't have a clue what was going on.
Then, on November 4th, I was rudely awoken by my body... yep, it was doing something I didn't expect it to do.  At 2.45am, I suddenly woke up and didn't know why... so I wandered off to the toilet (thinking that's what I needed to do).  When that was a failure, I stumbled back to bed in the dark, curled up on my side and was almost asleep when I felt an awful cramp in my left side.  I thought it was gas (you know when you got air in your guts from eating too fast?) so I changed my position on the bed... but that didn't work.  So - of course - I changed it again and I felt worse!  Turning on my reading light, I tried to sit up but doubled over as the pain worsened yet again.  It was time to call my parents... I didn't want to, but I had to.  By 3:30am, they were here and had called an ambulance on the way over.  By 4am, they ambos were here and I was trying to smile politely while I was scrunched up in a ball on the edge of my lounge.  Soon, they had me in the back of the bus and had morphine in me to kill the pain.  I had always wanted to see the sunrise, but not from one of these things!  By 7am, I was discharged from the Mater Hill Hospital with the diagnosis that an ovarian cyst had ruptured.  Wow!  If that's how it's going to be, I really need something done to make sure it doesn't hurt so much the next time it comes back (which it will as this one comes back).
After this visit, I went and got an ultrasound done and visited my doctors. This took a couple of weeks.  The technicians were great.  They could see this cyst has been one which returns and ruptures by the scar tissue it's begun to leave behind... however the doctors don't see it that way.  They said that now it's gone, they'd like to see what happens next.  What happens next is that the stupid thing will grow back and cause me more pain... that's what happens next!
During this month, I found some great photos from when I was a kid.  Now, there was a reason for my trip down memory lane; and it was from a news article where things were being Dumbed Down for this generation of kids.  There's too much technology out there at everyone's fingertips and everything is too easy to get.  Gone are the days where it took forever to get from point A to point B, where we didn't have mobile phones, didn't have the net or anything computerised to keep us occupied.  Nope... we didn't have a choice, we had to get outside and play with the neighbour's kids.  So, I went and had a look at some photos of my childhood to see how basic it was back in the early 1980's... and boy!  Was it basic!  We had so much going on outside, that the only time we were inside was to have a bath, eat dinner and go to bed.  So, the few posts about the history of the area I live in are to show how far Springwood has come in around 30 years; and it's a long way.
Over the last few months, I've barely had a weekend to myself.  And last weekend was no different.  On Friday, I was out to lunch with family and then off to CRS.  Then, Saturday was a day out with some 365er's around Capt. Burke Park at the Storey Bridge here in Brisbane.  That night Gabe and Kat brought the fish over for me to care for.  Then, on Sunday, Mum and I went out with the Logan Art Gallery Volunteers to Bribie Island to see some arty places and have a lovely lunch at the Bribie Island Bowls Club.  And the day out was great, hot and sunny... but the bus felt as though we were inside a steamer!
Well, that concludes my month of highlights!  The great places I've been to, things I've written about and fun times I've had this month.  It's been great.  And next month will be better... with Christmas just around the corner!  Until my next post, take care, keep warm and safe and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment