Sunday, March 27, 2011

Long Saturday

Yesterday started out very early... I took off early to Mum and Dad's place to avoid the Body Corporate meeting that was going on early out the front of the unit complex.  I was gone by around 8:30am; very early for me on a weekend.  By the time Mum picked me up, the meeting had begun.
When we got to their place, Mum and I figured out the internet and found out that her part of the modem was unplugged.  But Dad's computer was still chock full of virus'.  So, we shared her laptop for the day.  It was good and she thought it was good that I did all my blogging and stuff the night before; even though I was up very late to get it done.  
Before we knew it, Gabe, Kat and Riley were all there and then Dad came home and we had to sneak around and sign the card for Dad's retirement pressie.  It was funny trying to keep him downstairs for the next half hour to try and sign the card in their bedroom.  So, once it was all done, I wandered downstairs to see if it was going well, and found Dad was getting antsy; wanting to make coffee for everyone.  It wasn't going to be long before we all had our cameras ready.  Well, you'd swear Dad was going to be on the society pages... Gabe, Riley and I took so many photos of him receiving the grinder and he got all emotional about it too.  But it makes good coffee.
We had a lovely lunch and then we all did our own thing.  Riley did her homework, Kat a snooze and Gabe and Dad disappeared downstairs again to work on their own projects.  Then time moved on and Mum put on 'How To Train Your Dragon' to try and get me to watch it; but really I just wanted to go to Rockaway down the road.  I didn't find it a very exciting movie, but Riley loves it because of the dragons in it.  We eventually went down the road; only to have me return within twenty minutes because Rockaway closed at 4pm.  I only go to purchase 'The Glen Miller Story' and 'Saturday Night Fever' soundtracks.  I was hoping to find the soundtrack to 'Paris Blues' as it had the most gorgeous music in it when I saw the movie last week.  I'll keep on looking for it.
By the time I had arrived back to Mum and Dad's place and sat around, read a bit of 'Perfume' by Patrick Suskind and then packed up my gear to come home.  It was getting on a little and Dad had offered to take me home in the Limo.  You see, he had done a driving job that afternoon and brought it home with him; parking it across the street.  So, once Mum, Kat and Riley arrived back, he drove us to my place (well, Kate stayed behind) and took the Rolls Royce Stretch Limo right into the place, through the gate and to my house.  Well, I was surprised he could get it around all those corners.  And when we drove past Lisa's place, we found her family sitting out in the carport all having a drink with their mouths hanging open!  She was on the phone, her Mum, Betty, was trying to get out of her seat and Lisa followed us all the way up to my place.  She was absolutely gobsmacked to see me emerge from the car and couldn't believe it when I invited her up to look at it, telling her that Dad was a chauffeur on weekends; and had been since I was in high school.  Well, she looked inside, was introduced to Riley and Mum and she just loved how it all looked in there; saying she had never seen the interior of one of these cars before... and then I grabbed my gear and, after Lisa went home, she said it was the best thing she's seen in a long time.... we got photos of the car with Riley and Mum and Dad and me in front of it.  This really made Riley's day; to be riding along in a Limo!  And I thought it was very cool to be brought home in the 1984 Limo too.  


After they left, and settled in at home, I closed up, turned on some lights and went to Lisa's place to see how they were for the day; and to see what happened with the Body Corporate meeting.  I had gotten the main ruling of my neighbours; but my Lisa and her family told me that my next door neighbour really wasn't pleased with anything that went on yesterday.  But they said the best thing was when we drove past in the Limo and then I got out of it... it's the most beautiful car!  And then I told them a few things about the car.  
Then, last night, we had Earth Hour... the hour at the end of March each year since 2007 where cities and countries around the world turn off their lights for one hour each year to help save the ozone and cut back on electricity.  This year was no different.  I made my pot of tea on the stove with a pot of water, wrote in my journal, listened to the lovely silence of my house and watched my little bird snooze in the semi-darkness next to the candle I had set next to her.  It was just nice not to be bombarded with the noise of the radio, internet pictures, loud adverts on the television... I just enjoyed the darkness and candles and quiet for that hour.  And you know, I'm beginning to look forward to it each year.  I think it's because we're getting bombarded with so much more crap that I'm looking forward to the escape of this that once we separate ourselves from it - even for that one hour - it's nice to be able to just sit back and listen to the world wander by for that time.  I love it.
Well, now it's Sunday, and it's a cool windy day.  I had possums fighting over God knows what last night as they wrecked the fences last night.  So, this morning, I hammered up the palings again before I washed up and got my drink ready and then read the paper.  It's been a nice cool day; so much so, I've changed from a mini-skirt into jeans... yep, I think Autumn is on its way - finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment