Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thrift Shop Joys

Don't you love it when you go out to buy one thing and come across something else you've been looking for?  I do.  I went out this morning - before it poured rain - to buy some medication I had forgotten to buy yesterday and decided to go to the Thrift Shop just to browse.  Now, this can be a dangerous thing; and this time, I was being good.  I found I looked at the handbags and didn't find a single glow mesh or Oroton.  They've been a little thin lately and I do have a very good collection anyway; so I'm not complaining about not having enough.
But I did find a good thick book.  It's a hard cover of 'Baudolino' by Umberto Eco; and it's big!  I was delighted to find it still has its dust cover and is in good condition - even if the dust cover is a little torn (that's what they're for; to protect the book itself and take the damage).  I took that out to the store and put it on the counter while I looked through the coin purse area and found two little coin purses.  Now, people throw out the most delightful things.  And I found there was one old one that smells like somebody put either lollies in it or a sniff of perfume inside it.  Either way, it smells very sweet; but clean.  There was a stain on it that I got off with a gentle scrub of bi-carb and water with my old toothbrush; and it has a little brass Kangaroo in one corner.  Very nice.  The other purse is red and has dragonflies on it and the zip does up on an angle.  These things cost me only $2.00... I thought it was going to cost me more.  What a deal!
While I was walking around the Argonaut Centre, on my way to the Thrift Shop, I went past the old Argonaut Skating Rink.  It had been there since I was a kid and I learned to roller skate there; achieving my patches for my tracksuit.  It was operating as a skate rink until around six years ago when a church bought it and turned it into a house of worship instead of a place of skating and inline hockey.  It was so much fun to go there when I moved here as it was only down the road and easy to get to... such a pity it's gone now.
For the rest of the day, I checked my mail - which I had none - I chatted to a friend of mine and hung about the net.  Then, I edited some work of mine (mainly vampire stories) and now, I'm going to get my nose into a book and do some reading.  So, until my next post, take care, stay dry and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment