Sunday, March 6, 2011

Vivienne's Birthday Party

Yesterday was a busy day.  I went out at around noon and got home today.  First, though, I sent Little Miss Stevie off to my parent's house for an overnight visit; and am I glad I did that!  It got so cold last night!
Well, Geoff picked me up around one-ish and we drove into West End to have a look at Inspire gallery where he has asked if I'd like to get some of my work put into it later this year.  As we looked through the front window of the doors, he told me that there was a stage where a band could play; and immediately, I thought of Blue Honey and wondered if Gabe and Nicki would like to take up a paying gig at this gallery for an opening night.  First though, we'd have to get dates settled and then ask them about it.
We thought to wait until the gallery opened; so we took a walk around to Boundary Street to Bent Books.  I haven't been to this store while it was open; always after dark.  So, to venture in was a real treat for me.  I loved the lines of bookshelves from floor to ceiling and was right at home; forgetting my worries as I peered at all the titles, authors and genres that surrounded me.  From across the store, I noticed 'Catch-22' by Joseph Heller and so went and picked it up off the shelf - thinking it was gong to cost me loads.  However, I was pleasantly surprised to find it was only $12.00 and in very good condition; most certainly brand new.  I chatted with the owner and he is very knowledgeable of his stock and has a great sense of being with his customers.  Geoff told me while we walked back to the gallery that some people like the guy, some don't.  Personally, I liked him as he is an original; and doesn't try to be somebody or anything he's not.
The Inspire Gallery still wasn't open, and we noticed that the weather wasn't on our side.  So, we decided to take off and pick up some booze for the party and other things on the shopping list too.  We went to Dan Murphy's and while Geoff got some wine and beer, I bought some Cascade's Ginger Beer.  We drove back to Thorneside and helped out with the rest of the preparations of the party as rain sprinkled from the sky and the day began to cool off.
As the afternoon sky darkened and the rain became heavier and the wind picked up, more guests arrived bearing gifts for Vivienne.  Geoff got in and cooked the snags and veggie burgers he had made and the salads were put out for dinner.  I began to snap photos as we all settled into our meals and drinks.  Then, the birthday cake came out - one that Geoff had made from a recipe one of his workmates had given him - and it was a great success!  What a gorgeous cake!  Vivienne loved her gifts that she received, from a jewelery box to itunes vouchers to two vintage vinyls of John Farnham from 1978 and 1980 (those two vinyls were from me; just something I knew she wouldn't have).  The vinyls really impressed a few of the guests and got us laughing at what he looked like back then and what he was wearing too.  But the music on those vinyls are just lovely.
As it got late, our guests left, having to go home due to work the next day or needing to meet up with other friends later that night.  Then, there only Geoff, Viv and me sitting around in the lounge at around 10:30pm chatting over a cup of coffee and saying we had all eaten too much food; but it was the best chillin' out party we'd had in a long time... where nothing bad happened, nobody got ill, nobody hurt themselves and nothing caught fire (I do remember a party where all those things did happen it was hilariously funny and memorable!).  Not long afterwards, Viv went to bed as she had been up since around 6am; but Geoff and I had had too much sugar and caffeine and so we stayed up to Google stuff on the net... until around 1am when my brain and eyeballs were off to bed before me too.
This morning, I uploaded all the photos from last night onto my Facebook as an album and within 20 minutes one of my friends had had a looks and enjoyed them; liking them immediately.  Then, before we left Thorneside, Vivienne shared the album on her Facebook and tagged some people I had missed out on tagging in it; then Geoff commented on some of the photos.  
I'm now home and awaiting the return of Little Miss Stevie.  Mum told me she was good until this morning when she tried to bite Mum for trying to help her with her gross poo situation... but by the time Dad had a look the gross poo had been picked off by my bird.  It's a coolish day; very much like the Brisbane Autumn we're so used to now... and it happened overnight!  Well, that was my weekend.  Now, today, I'm just going to chill out, read a book and hang around on the net while I contemplate the fluff in my belly button... yeah, it's a good day for that.  Until my next post, take care, keep safe and remember... I'm always here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment