Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tribute to Norm Clark

This morning, I turned on my computer, jumped online and opened my e-mail to find that one of my dear friends had passed away.  I have known Norm Clark for almost twenty years; since I was attending The Logan Writers' Guild and we got to know each other there.  He wrote poetry and ballads and enjoyed hearing my banter about things of the world.
Norm hard a sweet little dog called Poppett he had to put to sleep some years ago because the poor little thing had had a massive stroke.  And this little dog was such a character; a little dog I was so fortunate to meet and enjoy when Norm was living at home on Blue Gum Drive at Marsden.  However, when I lost the use of my car, I found it harder to get to his place and didn't get to see him all that often.
Just last August or September, he had a fall and was placed in a nursing home by his family.  It was something he wished he didn't have to do, but needed to.  The move was smooth and he started enjoying himself there; however, his internet took so long to get hooked up.  He was offline for a long time and only just online in the New Year.  And now, just yesterday morning, the world has lost a lovely, sweet man who knew how to cook with a slow cooker (I do remember a lovely lunch I had at his house once; and it was delicious!).
During his time with us, he travelled overseas to Canada and met a wonderful woman; who he fell for.  However, he couldn't stay.  He had his dog and family here to come back to.  But when he returned, his health turned bad and he couldn't travel again; and he was kept from his lady love.  I'm not sure what happened with them, but I know he felt heartbroken that he couldn't return to Canada.  I felt sad for him as he had found the woman for him; but thousands of kilometres separated them, and that's just not fair.
I'm very sad that he's gone from our lives and he will be sorely missed.  I will miss receiving 'The Good Mail' column in my Optusnet mailbox each week and I do hope he went peacefully and without pain.  I know he's with his little dog now somewhere happy and peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment