Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Tragic Night in Logan City

We had a horrible night here in Logan late last night.  At around midnight, a house burnt down near Mayes Street, Slacks Creek taking with it eleven people; this was two families of Samoans.
The news was a complete shock to me as I talked to one of my neighbours; and found out that her daughter (who is my age) works with one of the men whose entire family was lost in the blaze.  The youngest child was only 3 years old and the eldest was 15.  He also lost his Mother, Grandmother and Great-Grandmother last night in the two-storey house his brother rented.  They were all staying in the house because there was a big event at one of the schools they all wanted to attend; and had decided to go from the one place today, thinking it was easier to leave from the one destination instead of meeting up separately.
However, there were leaking gas cylinders and no smoke alarms installed; and there were two cars parked around the house (one out the front and one in back) which also burned in the fire.  These people didn't have a chance when the place exploded (from what the reports on the news channel here have said) and the fire crews and police had to hold back the two men who were the only survivors of the house fire, who wanted to go in and save their family... and they were the only ones who came first in their lives.  This is a family who survived the Bali Bombings and migrated here to Australia to live.  
The whole Samoan and Tongan Community here in Logan City have come together in support of these two men.  I have changed my profile pic on Facebook to the Samoan Flag in support of them and I hope you all say a prayer for them tonight; and for the next couple of weeks; it's not going to be easy.
My neighbour's daughter - Lisa - has been at a loss today as to what to say or do.  She knows the man who lost everyone in his family so well.  She told me today that he has photos of all of them at work everywhere around the office; and he talked about them all the time.  However, today, she really didn't know what to do with herself; and neither did I.  So, tonight, I'm going to say a prayer for the ones who have been lost in this tragedy and keep him in my thoughts; I hope you do as well.  Until my next post, take care, keep safe and warm, and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment