Friday, August 26, 2011

Weird Friday

It's been a week of tragedies; of rain and cold and of heartbreak.  I have been feeling rather down about it all as well. So, that why this week, I haven't posted much here.  
At the beginning of the week, it poured rain for about two days and was freezing cold.  My house was closed up and I sat on the computer and surfed the net, wrote a bit, edited a bit and began 'Other Colours' by Orhan Pamuk.  I also tried to knit with the new Marshmallow yarn that Mum bought me last weekend; unsuccessfully.  
However, it wasn't until Wednesday when something really went wrong around Logan City.  A rented house in Slacks Creek burnt to the ground housing two families, taking three generations with it.  Only two people survived and they were the husbands who are brothers.  The whole Samoan and Tongan Communities have bonded together to help these two lost men in their time of need.  The Salvation Army has opened a fund to raise money they need to pull their lives back together again.  However, they have both lost the most important people in their lives:  their wives, children, Mother, Grandmother and Great-Grandmother.  And these are people who survived the Bali Bombings.  My heart goes out to them both in their greatest time of need.
To get my mind off this tragedy, Mum and Dad took me out to the Victoria Point Cineplex to see 'Red Dog' on the big screen.  These cinemas are owned by the Hawthorne Theatre people and so their screens are massive, the seating is gorgeously comfortable and the screen is set up on a proper stage with a huge, long red curtain with golden tassels all along the edges of it and along the awnings of it.  The stage has wings and is well-built for people to stand on to make speeches for premiers of movies.  What a place!  And the film was hilariously funny and - if you've ever own a dog - you would relate well to it!  This dog was brilliant and had the right face and look for the film.  Now, I want to read the book and own it on dvd when it comes out.
Yesterday, I did a load of washing, hung it out and caught a bus to the Logan Art Gallery to work my shift there until 1:30pm with Jane Poole.  We chatted as we read our books, I knitted a bit and we sold something from the store.  Catriona Russell came in and she and I caught up after greeting each other; she's looking really well.  Then, it was time for us to go after the next two ladies arrived; however we did chat about books and what we're reading now and what we were reading in school.  Also why we liked the books in school or not.  I caught a cab home and found my laundry was dry and so pulled it in, washed up and jumped online to check my mail and see what's going on.  
Thursday nights don't have that much going on in the way of television.  From around 7:30pm onwards, it's pretty boring.  So, most of the time I turn it off or put on a dvd to watch or watch repeats of 'Big Bang Theory'.  Otherwise, I cleaned up a little from dinner and made sure the place was locked up before jumping back online for a quick look around before bed where I read a few pages of my current read before turning out the light.
Today, I did my hand-washing and hung it outside.  However, the weather looks weird; so at around 11am, I pulled it all in and found that most of it was dry.  So, I hung what wasn't on the clothes horse inside and draped the jeans over the backs of the dining room chairs and made sure Little Miss Stevie was nice and warm as the cool breezes started up again.  
So, there you have it, my week.  It's not too exciting, but then, when I haven't been out shopping, or been out anywhere really, my weeks can be a little boring.  I'm hoping to have a more exciting weekend coming up; and next week too.  Until my next post, take care, keep warm and save and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment