Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Clean House, Full Moon

Ever had one of those days where everything appeared okay; but really it wasn't?  Yesterday was one of those days.  I had tidied up the house, washed up, put out the rubbish and pretty much made sure I had the place ready for anyone to drop by.  However, I just wasn't in the mood for people.  I had a niggling headache that had begun the moment I finished breakfast and was pushing me to use painkillers by noon.  Mum had called for the first time in over a day; and I snapped at her and didn't mean to (sorry Mum, really it was the headache causing me to be short-tempered) and I felt like I was walking around in circles for half the day wondering what the hell I was doing with myself.  Was I upstairs... no I was going downstairs... that's right!
Yesterday was no ordinary day either.  It was a full moon.  Yep, that's what put me out of whack!  I find that the moon phases spin me right out; especially when that full moon comes around and makes me stay awake all night.  But you see, I can't turn on the light because... well, here's how it goes:  I'll be wide awake while the lights are out, but once I switch on the reading lamp, my eyes go all blurry and weird and my brain tells me it's tired and wants to go to bed.  I turn out the light and I'm wide awake again, laying there waiting for sleep to show; when Morpheus has been and gone.  So, no, I didn't get much sleep last night, however, I did wake today feeling better than I did yesterday.  I think it may be been the pumpkin soup I made from the lovely Kent Pumpkin, Sweet Potato and carrots.  It's a recipe I invented some years ago when I had a raging cold in the middle of winter and it's never failed me to send a cold (or the feeling of a cold coming on) packing!  Here's the recipe:

Pumpkin, Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup with Garlic

Cut up enough Pumpkin, sweet potato and carrot into small pieces with a large clove of garlic (optional) and put the carrots and sweet potato into a large pot with olive oil to cook off with the garlic.  Add pumpkin once they are soft.  Then, once the pumpkin has cooked off, add a cup of water, pepper, paprika and parsley and stir.  Keep on low until it's all very soft and mooshy.  Then, pull out the masher and slowly mash all the ingredients until it looks mixed.  Then plug in the hand beater and - with a towel around the handle (as it will splatter) slowly go through it on the first setting until you've reached the consistency you like (chunky or smooth).  Serve with sour cream and parsley on top and crusty garlic bread.

I made this soup down the coast once and it brought everyone out of their caravans and tents to watch on.  I made it for Mum and Dad and they loved it so much I gave them the recipe.  Well, it's a nice sunny day outside, might see what it has left to offer.  Until my next post, take care, keep safe and warm and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment