Sunday, September 4, 2011

Dull Moments?

It's been an interesting few days.  I've read two books, cleaned up the house, gotten the shopping done, I went out and bought Dad his Father's Day gift and my 'Good Reading Magazine' (and a few other things I needed) and the lounge has a new cover on it; all the while, I have been working on a painting that had been archived in the storage facility for some years which I only dug out last week.
Yep, it's been a very busy week.  I also have stopped scratching from a severe allergic reaction to Garnier Fructis hair products.  I broke out in a horrible rash and had to be put on steroids to make it go away.  Now, all that's itchy is the dry skin I have from shaving my legs; and that's it - or a few ant bites from sitting out the front and reading in the Winter sun.
But this weekend has been strange - weather-wise - as it's been nice and sunny some days, and cool and weirdly overcast the next.  Like today - for example - it's around 19c and cold; yet yesterday was lovely, warm and had a hint of a cool breeze.  Last night, it was cool and poured rain just after I turned out the light at around midnight; and I heard the Boo-Book Owl off in the distance.


Also last night, we had Brisbane's Riverfire take place in the city.  This is to start Brisbane Festival; a two week celebration of our city during Spring.  It happens every year and this massive fireworks display takes over the whole river and is telecast everywhere and simulcast on the radio as well!  What a night!  Nobody who lives in Brisbane misses this spectacle; whether you see it at home or in the city, we all get to watch it at some point.  I have been in the city to see it from all kinds of vantage points (on the river during a party, from one of the many parks and from the verandahs of one of many restaurants that line the Brisbane River to name but a few).  But last night, I saw it from the comfort of my home as I didn't have the money or transport to go into the city and come home.  Maybe next year or so, I'll save up and go and see it from Southbank.
Today, it's Father's Day here in Australia.  I called Dad up early before going out to the service station to buy the paper and to wish him a Happy Father's Day.  Tonight we're all off to my brother's house to have dinner; where I'll give Dad his gift and my brother a card (after all, he's a Dad too).  Also, today, I'm hoping to get into reading another book - as well as the one I'm already reading.  The first one I've got my nose into is 'Metamorphosis' by David Suzuki; which I began yesterday.  It's an interesting insight into our genes, lives and how things change our families over time; morphing us into the people we are now.
Then, the next book I have pulled off the shelves is one I tried to read ages ago - however some bookrings came in from bookcrossing and interrupted it.  It's 'The Mists of Avalon' by Marion Zimmer Bradley.  This will be my second attempt at reading it; and hopefully I'll get through it completely.  This book is about King Arthur - but not just him - it's about the women in his life and the effect they had on him.  
Well, that's about all for today.  I've been busier than usual for the last few days; however, I'm sure it'll slow down enough for me to read more and get my painting worked on as well.  Until my next post, take care, keep warm and safe and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment