Saturday, October 8, 2011

Eggplant Spaghetti Sauce

I just can't put this off any longer.  I want to share with you guys the nicest, most delicious vegetarian sauce I've created.  Now, I cook for myself - and others - and have found that it's best to always cook from scratch so I know what goes into the meal.  I don't like opening bottles of stuff from the store; so you won't find anything more than Tomato Paste in my recipes.  This recipe is the most wonderful one and I've cooked myself it many times before.

Ingredients:
Eggplant - two large disks cut into cubes
2 Roma Tomatoes - cut into cubes
1 Tblspn sugar
2 Tblspn Tomato Paste
1/2 Capiscum - diced
Mushrooms - 5 button, stalks cut off, sliced thickly
Garlic - optional - sliced and diced finely
Paprika, Tarragon, Parsley, Pepper
1/4 glass water
Spaghetti - enough for two servings.

Method:

Start cooking the spaghetti.  This sauce takes around 20 minutes to cook; with 10 minutes of prep work before hand.  So, by the time the water is boiling, it'll be ready for the spaghetti.

Cook off the eggplant until it's got a crust on it and it's almost ready to serve and place in a heatproof dish and put to one side.  Put more oil into the pan/pot and add the tomatoes, sugar and tomato paste and stir the pot with a wooden spoon until it starts to mix.  Add in capsicum and garlic and cook for a few minutes, then the herbs - Paprika, Tarragon, Pepper - and then the mushrooms and let it cook for a while after you add the water (you won't need much water; just enough to make the sauce smooth) and then add in the pre-cooked eggplant and mix in. 
Turn off the spaghetti when the timer goes off - or when the spaghetti breaks easily against the wall of the pot with the light pressure from a fork or spoon - and leave the lid on until you the sauce has reduced slightly.  Then put the lid on the sauce and turn it off.  

Serves two with sour cream on the side.  Very nice with garlic bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment